Thursday, May 09, 2013

We Knew It Was Only a Matter of Time...

Until a house was built behind us.  The bulldozers started scraping off for the foundation today.  I talked to the guys, they were trying to find the survey pins from when the area was surveyed at the time of the fence going up, they were digging around in my back yard but they were polite and covering up after they dug holes.  They didn't find the stakes, they were looking along the fence line but the stakes were originally put at the old fence line.  Bill also thinks that the pins/stakes were removed (by Bill) after the fence was put up.  Anyway, the bulldozer operator thinks that it's at least going to be a one-story home.  They generally get those houses up quick, so it's only going to be a few weeks if they are true to form.  I still prefer when we had cows for neighbors!
 
Otter has been busy today.  She made cupcakes for Mother's Day.  She bought decorating stuff at work the other day but she told me I couldn't see it.  Now that the cupcakes are made & decorated, she did let me see it.  But I don't think I can eat any yet - we're waiting on Nana's arrival tonight.
 
Nana's flight was delayed about 30 minutes, which always seems to happen to her.  We'll still go out to a particular steak house we all like, it will just be a little later on.  Of course, I'm starving!
 
I bought moonshine today.  Relax, it's legal!  I got it at a liquor store, there are a few legal distilleries in the country and a few of the liquor stores are starting to carry it.  We aren't going to be in a hurry to drink it, but I was amused at the sign at the liquor store.  The sign was to warn people not to drink any locally produced, illegal stuff because it may well be poison.  Which is true, if the person making it doesn't know what he's doing.  I took it back to work with me, I was on my lunch hour when I got it, and my bosses both were very interested in it.  (They weren't worried about me drinking on the job.)  The Teenager especially was interested, he tried to tell me that it was really just apple cider - of course, he was trying to sneak it away from me at the time!  (It's apple pie which is basically moonshine with a small amount of apple cider for flavor and cinnamon.)
 
It's rainy again this afternoon.  We had a loud thunderstorm at about 4:30 this morning.  I know it was at 4:30, because I was awakened by the sound of the fan going off as the power cut off.  It came back on in less than a minute but we were awake by that point so we just got up.  A house in the neighborhood had a big tree basically come apart, but the tree looks like it wasn't healthy to start with.  We don't have any tree damage, beyond one smallish limb that was broken off months ago but we couldn't reach, it's now in the yard but that is all.  No actual damage.  It might be rainy tonight and into tomorrow morning.
 
OK, I'm going to go find a snack now!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So sorry that they are building right behind you. Hopefully it will be a one story. That will solve a few problems. Froggy