Sunday, October 06, 2013

Nice Fall Sunday

Today is a really nice day.  It's barely warm, the sun is shining and there is a slight breeze.  Gorgeous blue sky.  Perfect early Fall weather.
 
It was rainy, early Fall weather yesterday.  We were supposed to get heavy storms overnight Friday, but they were a little late arriving.  Otter looked at the weather report Friday afternoon, if the weather was rough she'd already announced her intention to sweet-talk me into driving her to work at 8:00 a.m.  There was a little thunder and a small amount of rain around 6:00 or so, then it quit.  But the actual storm system hadn't actually gotten here, the early stuff was just a tease.  About 10:00-ish, the sky opened up and it poured.  Lots of wind as well.  We had the house opened up and had a nice breeze.  The house has been de-allergied, at least for a short while.    It rained off & on all day, then it quit about 2:30 or 3:00.  Otter got off work at 4:00, so she managed to miss having to drive in it either way since it started after she left and ended before she got home.
 
I think she had a good day at work yesterday, they are encouraged to sell extended warranty plans (service plan is the correct term!) and they earn a small cash incentive for every plan they sell to customers.  It's not a quota, they aren't penalized if they don't sell them but management likes the cashiers to sell two per day if they can.  The first words out of Otter's mouth as she came in the door weren't to say hello to us or ask how our day went.  As she came in the door she was yelling "I sold three today!"  She really likes the job, aside from the cash bonus for selling service plans.  They don't push the plans, they just encourage customers to buy them if the item is anything large or expensive is all.
 
I spent most of yesterday with a hook in my right hand and my afghan over my lap.  I did probably about 12 rows on it yesterday, then we spread it out on the floor and measured it.  And realized that I was almost finished with it.  I originally planned for it to be big enough to put on our bed but after I was a few rows in, I decided to make it more lap blanket size mostly due to the width.  I had about 2 1/2 rows left and I finished those up this morning.  I've been weaving tails back in to it today, I have about 6 tails left to do but my fingers were cramping up so I put it aside for a while.  I'm going to get back on it this afternoon and get it finished up.  I'll get pictures, but I have to wait for Otter to come home from her D & D group since she took her camera with her.
 
I have a pot of pinto beans cooking at the moment.  They'll be dinner, along with cornbread.  I'll probably make jalepeno cornbread, I haven't made it with jalepenos in a while.
 
I bought a new Mr. Coffee Ice Tea maker.  The old one finally quit, I think I'd mentioned before that it was on it's way out.  The new one has two or three different amounts as well as a strength indicator.  It's a little quicker and it has less pieces to have to wash.  I like the fact that the container is rectangular in shape and not as tall.
 
Froggy, it's no problem making a shawl for you.  Do you want the triangular shape?  Also, do you have a color preference or not?  I'm going to frog out the ruffle row on my blue one and add two to four rows to it, then re-ruffle it.  It's not quite long enough as it is, but I was just plain tired of working it and it was either call it done and ruffle it, or I was going to throw it out!  I've worn it to church several times and it works very well, but it really is too short for my height.  You and I are about the same height, so I will be able to judge the size/length easily if you want the triangular style.  Just let me know, and let me know the color you want.  I suggest the triangular style instead of the rectangle style.  I mentioned to Bill this morning that I was now caught up on my projects and needed to find another one, so you have perfect timing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should make it red for Mom
KN#3

Otter Mom said...

KN#3, I'm assuming that you are joking about red to go with the white & blue ones I've made! But Froggy, if you want red that is fine. I also have a nice, soft pale green that I made Virginia's out of and it might be a color you like. It's not the silky yarn, but it is a soft yarn.