Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Ghosts of Car Repairs Past

I talked to Chevy today.  The car is not ready, but I'm not really surprised.  It should be ready tomorrow.  The service manager told me something interesting that the mechanic discovered:  a leak in the rack, which is part of the power steering system.  He specifically asked me if I'd ever had that part repaired or replaced, which tells me that he suspected something.  I know what he suspected.  That the work was "done" before on that part.  "Done" but not actually done, possibly.

Remember the previous shop we used?  The one that we felt like they were a) manufacturing issues as well as b) possibly not actually repairing work that they were paid for.  Well, I'm strongly thinking that b) might apply here.  I dug out the receipts and in 2011, the entire rack & pinion system was replaced.  Prior to that, there are estimates that state it was leaking and needed replacing.  It looks like the work was "done" and the warranty covered at least part of it.  But we still spent $1,200.00+ on that visit.  Some of it was tires, which were around $600-ish.  But the rest of it was mainly the rack & pinion replacement.  I told the chevy service manager that I'd look through my paperwork and see what was done in the past, that I was pretty sure the previous repair shop crooks had done a replacement and I'm going to see if I can fax him the paperwork tomorrow.

It's a slow leak and doesn't have to be addressed right away, we can watch the power steering fluid level and add as needed.  He thinks it can be done for around $600.  I don't think we are going to get it done right away, we're about to spend just under $900.00 on the car (the cost of the current repair, which includes the oil pan leak and another leak in the sending unit and I'm pretty sure that they are not charging me as much as they should/could) tomorrow.

We've been discussing buying another car, Otter needs Bill's impala more and more so he's been driving the White Lightning.  Which is not ideal, it is a project car but not a quick project.  Also, some of the parts are simply not available for a 1976 Chevy El Camino.  And then there is also the fact that it's a gasoline hog!  We were hoping to wait until December, when Enterprise rentals switches out their models.  That's how we've purchased the last two cars.  I'd still like to wait, but we might not.  I like the new Impalas, but I don't see too many of them on the road which is not a good sign.  The new malibus are really nice, but they are smaller.  However, I really like them and I see a lot of them so they are popular which generally means that people are happy with them.  Otter is in all probability going to get Bill's impala as her own car, it's a good starter car.  It does have issues, but we know what they are which would probably not happen if she were to buy a car elsewhere - she won't be able to afford a new car for a while anyway.  She and Bill worked out a deal, heavy negotiation around my house!  But it isn't planned to happen for a while, she's still saving her pennies.  She's getting a good deal, she just isn't quite there yet.  But Bill is going to need something other than the El Camino to drive on a daily basis, the usual thing we do is I get a new car and he gets my old one.  I drove his/her impala today, but I'm going to catch a ride in with Bill to work tomorrow.  He leaves at 6:00 a.m.!  But since my car should be ready tomorrow, it'll be ok with me to get to work about 6:30.  Otter does work tomorrow, but not until the late afternoon.  Since my car should be ready tomorrow, I don't want to take his/her impala and I think her shift starts shortly before anybody else gets home anyway.

No toad in the dog's outside water this morning.  I'm sure he'll be back, he's a regular visitor.  But there is a skeeter inside the house this evening.  I've been seeing it and have tried to slap/smash/kill it several times but it keeps getting away from me.
 
But Maggie Moo is obviously not bothered by the skeeter.  She's snoozing at my feet.  As usual!  Frasier is snoozing in front of the coffee table.  Lazy hounds!  But maybe they have the right idea.
 
2 days down, 3 to go!

No comments: