Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Humid Beyond Belief Today

I am a little title-challenged today, but it is humid.  HUMID.  Just being outside between the car and door of the office or at home is enough to trigger my asthma.  Otter doesn't normally have issues with humidity, but when it's as humid as it is today she does have some problems with it.  Not bad, but then she was only outside as little as possible.  She helped me carry the recycling stuff out to the car and was out for less than 5 minutes.
 
Otter is having other allergy related issues.  She is allergic to cottonwood pollen, it's always been one of her bigger triggers.  It's always been a respiratory allergy trigger, but she discovered yesterday that it's now causing itching.  Extremely bad itching.  Skin allergies are not fun, and it's even less fun when a trigger changes how it triggers!  It never quits the first reaction, it just adds another reaction to the mix.  She is now carrying hydrocortisone ointment around with her, I keep it in my purse because I need it often enough and now she's joined me.  I would have preferred she not join that particular activity!
 
I took the car to Chevy this morning, I got it there right at 7:00 and left it to get the oil leak repaired.  The man I deal with is actually the department manager, he's a good friend of both my bosses so they sent me to see him when we first realized that the previous repair shop was "less than honest" and now he makes a point of being the person I talk to and leave the car with when I have to take it in.  He called me about 11:00 or so, he had the mechanic look at the car and it is the oil pan as well as the part that has the oil pressure sensor (I forgot the name of the part), both are leaking and need to be replaced.  It would be around $1,000 but he is giving me a discount so it will be closer to the $800 he originally quoted when we didn't know about the sensor part being bad.  However, the car didn't get worked on today.  There was a vehicle that was ahead of mine on the schedule that was making engine noise and it turned out that it actually needed the engine to be replaced, so all the cars after it were delayed to get their work done.  He said that they could still start on my car, but it would probably be Thursday instead of Wednesday before they could get it finished so I rescheduled it for Monday morning.  I'll take it in at 7:00 a.m. and then, depending on Otter's schedule at work, either she or Bill will pick me up in the afternoon and then either one of them will get me to work the next day.  Most likely, the car will be ready on Tuesday but there is a slight chance it will take another day.  So the car came home with me today.
 
I was originally going to catch a ride to work with Bill in the morning, which would mean I'd be getting there by 6:30!  I was going to take my crochet with me, since I would have 1 1/2 hours until it was time to start work.  Next week, depending on Otter's schedule again, I might still have to go in early with Bill.
 
Billyboy's birthday is tomorrow.  I'm going to make him a pineapple upside down cake tomorrow.  I was going to make it tonight, but they are better when warm so I'll make it as soon as I get home from work.  Bill wants to use his Stufz and make hamburgers for his birthday dinner.  I bought ground beef, we usually use turkey but birthdays call for the real deal.  He still has some of his birthday/Father's Day bacon left but he's decided (at Otter's suggestion) to have it for breakfast on Saturday instead.
 
I forgot to mention it, but I went to an Auction last Saturday.  It was by the auctioneer we always used to go to when we were doing the eBay thing.  They all remember Otter, she was in early elementary school when we first started going to this auction house.  She wasn't with me because she was at work, but I have pictures on my cell phone.  They all agreed that she can't be a) old enough to work, b) old enough to drive and c) 22!  By the way, I got outbid.  There were 2 pachinko machines that Bill was interested in.  The man that bought them was a piano tuner who bought a few things (the auction was a collector and he had several pianos and related items) and he got them for his grandchildren to play.  I don't think he intended to bid on the machines until he saw them and decided that they looked interesting.  I didn't mind losing out to him, he was a really nice older gentleman.  I told him a few things about the machines after he won and gave him one of our cards.  If he hadn't been there, I would have been the only bidder and would probably have gotten them for around $40.00 for both.  It was fun to go to an auction, I haven't been to one in a while.

No comments: