Thursday, April 26, 2007

More Clara-isms!

Froggy left these comments on the previous posting, but I thought that they should be repeated and posted for everyone to see!

Remember the time that she made hamburgers, took one out to Jessie, in her apt, came in and we all ate. Them Mom discovered a piece of meat that was left over. She had forgotten to put the meat in Jessie's hamburger. Jessie ate a bun with tomatos, pickles, lettuce, and always laughed about it.When we moved, Dad was sick so you, me, and Mom moved all the rocks. I don't think we left even one tiny pebble behind.I remember she used to save empty veg. cans,cut out the ends and then we could use these to make tunnels in the mud.She never had many plants when we were little, because the flower beds were always where we played and built tunnels, mud pies, etc. She did always grow violets, so we could take the flowers to our teachers.

I do remember the meatless hamburger that Aunt Jessie had. And I remember the violets. I think we did move the rocks, but I remember the movers being amused by it so we must have been loading them when they were there, or possibly unloading them at the new house as they were bringing the furniture.

I also remember the dumplings! Mom was a wonderful cook. She could cook anything she put her mind to. EXCEPT DUMPLINGS! They were like rocks, no other word for it. It became a family joke, but I think she was as amused by it as everyone else was. However, she had another talent that I wish I had: Mom could take any left overs she had and no matter how strange they might sound, she always made a meal that was satisfying and tasted great. I remember some strange things together, but they were always good at the time!

And she never met a baby she didn't have to hold and cuddle.

I really miss her.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Boy her dumplings were bad. But dad always said that they were good.

Every time we went somewhere we had to stop and talk to the babies, Dad was just as bad as Mom was about this.
Remember the meal we called slumgullon (?). It was good, but what was in it?
Fo you remember the Halloween she made stew in the hollowed out pumpkin shell? It was not a hit. Maybe the secret to her cooking was she was not afraid to try new things.
I miss her too.
Froggy