Sunday, June 15, 2008

Father's Day



This is one of the last pictures I took of my Dad. It was taken in June 2003, on what was his last visit to Oklahoma. It was taken at the zoo, he was looking at the tortoise exhibit - which was very appropriate, considering that he's the reason I love turtles so much. We were discussing how the giant tortoises would have been so much fun to have. And probably also Froggy's reaction. It is one of my favorite memories from his trip.

One year later, we lost him. On June 15, 2004. 4 years ago today. He was a great father & grandfather, and we really miss him. But we also know where he is now, and that we will see him again one of these days. In the meantime, we have our memories.

Dad taught me so much. About standing firm, not giving in and about sacrifice - such as his on June 6, 1944 at Omaha Beach and then when he was wounded on June 30, 1944 at St. Lo, France. And he also taught me to laugh, he had an off-the-wall sense of humor and I certainly seem to have inherited it.

He was a man who loved his family, and his grandchildren were very important to him. He loved to make them laugh. Otter remembers being spoiled rotten by her Yaya. He loved children and animals, and they could not resist him. It was fun to watch the effect he had on them. He had a presence that no animal could resist, not even my probably abused chow mix who hated all men. Except him! When it came to children, forget it - they just automatically went nuts over him and it was mutual.

I really miss him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with all you wrote about Dad. My kids loved him and learned a lot from him.
Froggy