Sunday, July 11, 2010

Sunday Puffy Tacos


Texas Bliss!  These are puffy tacos.  And they were delicious!

Obviously, this post is to detail the last week and it will deal with TEXAS.  Since I spent all of last week there.

Monday morning, we were up early to get me to the airport about 6:30 for my flight.  The flight was fine, I had a plane change in Dallas with a layover of about an hour.  So I had time to go check out the airport book store that Otter told me about.  The flight to SA was about 20 minutes early, which is a change from how it usually is for me.

Froggy and family met me at the airport.  We spent the next few days eating things including the puffy tacos pictured above, and shopping in as many thrift stores, antique & craft stores as we could find.  And one particular store that deserves special mention.  It's called Yarnivores and it's all yarn.  It was a fun place.  Of course, I bought yarn!  I brought the yarn back with me on the plane, it showed up on the scan of my carry one bag as a ball.  Confused the girl running the scanner, she couldn't figure out why I had a ball in my tote bag.  No idea what it will be used for as yet, I thought about a scarf but I'm not sure.  However, it will be fun to work with.

My brother (Toadly) and his wife showed up, we had a great visit with him and went to the Pig Stand.  Anyone from SA or the general area of Texas will know about the Pig Stand.  I had a Pig Sandwich.  Which was excellent.  And a Black Cow!  (Black Cow is a rootbeer float made with vanilla ice cream).


No pictures of my food this time, but here's the sign in front of the business.


We saw this sign on the way to a thrift store.  It's on the back of a Yield sign.  It took me a minute to figure out what it is.  Opus the Penguin!


These were just a few of the many ducks that live at the pond in Froggy's neighborhood.


This is a very sweet dog, her name is Cookie.  I called her Cookie Monster but then started calling her Cookie Dough because she's just so sweet!  She's Froggy's by the way.  Very spoiled, mostly dachsund with maybe a little beagle thrown in for good measure.


Wish I could grow these!  They do grow up here, but they don't like the weather we get in the winter.  They can stand a little snow and a very small amount of ice, but not too much.


A closer shot of one of the blooms.


And of course no trip to SA is complete without this!  We didn't stop there this time, but we did drive by.

I went with one suitcase and one carry on tote bag.  I had one very full, almost too full suitcase when I left.  And the carry on tote bag which was much fuller than when I went to SA.  And another carry on tote bag which was also full.  And I had to ship a box back that weighed just under 22 pounds!  It should arrive Tuesday.  It's got some fun stuff in it, including two Fenton pieces and several skeins of yarn that I found at a thrift store for 49 cents each.  And a few other things including some t-shirts that make great padding for a box of breakables.  There is enough bubble wrap in that box to make several trips to the moon and back.

I got back in on Friday evening.  It was great to go Home last week but it was also great to get home after the trip.  It was busy and we ran a lot but I'm so glad I went.

Otter did a great job keeping things under control around the house last week (such as her father the crazy man!) but she said that she's not in a big hurry to have to take care of her own household.  She kept the dishes & laundry caught up and general house cleaning that normally needs to be done.  She did a great job.  Thanks, Otter.  I really appreciate all your hard work.  She even made sure that Billyboy had lunch every day to take to work and that there was dinner each day.

Frasier was very glad to see me, he is normally a very affectionate dog anyway but he's been much clingier than normal the last couple of days.  Maggie did great, no accidents at all.  Then I came home and she immediately had an "on purpose" in front of me.  It was yesterday and it was not good - because as I was dragging her outside, I tripped over her.  And fell.  On the hard, ceramic tile floor of the kitchen.  I was able to fall in such a way that I'm not injured, but I am sore all over.  I do mean all over, and not just a little sore either!  And have a nice, big bruise on my right knee.  It could have been very bad.  I'm not sure what we're going to do, but Otter is doing research to see a) why the dog might be doing this and b) how to stop her.  Maggie is Otter's dog, otherwise I honestly think that Bill would find a new home for the beagle.

Anyway, on to other things.  Thrifting!  Otter was housebound last week, so I took her thrift shopping today.  I found two more Fenton hats, for 79 cents each.  For that price, I can not pass it up.  So, I now have 4 Fenton hats.  We also went to the library and came home with an armload each of books.  My book list for this month might not be as big as normal, I didn't get to read much last week.  We went to a book store and I got a book of crochet that was on last month's list as a library book.  It's the one about Creepy and Cute Crochet.  Really fun stuff.


This is Chester.  He's KN3's cat.  I think he's at least part Maine Coon Cat.  They are very large cats, not just fat but large in general.  Chester had an abcess on his ear and it was treated & healed, but his outer ear is a little "special" now.  He's a fun cat.  Froggy has two other cats, Cally and Muskrat.  Cally is skittish and doesn't like anybody outside of her family.  Muskrat is Cally's daughter and is more friendly.  Among other things, I crocheted some clothes hanger covers for Froggy while I was there.  I woke up early one morning and couldn't go back to sleep, so I decided to crochet a few more.  Well, I reached for the yarn in the dark only to discover that it was furry and meowed!  Muskrat is a black cat and she was asleep on top of the bag that Froggy put the yarn in.


Another local landmark in SA.


More ducks!  These were the babies that were at the pond in Froggy's neighborhood.  There are a lot of ducks.

Now, I think I'll go find another motrin.  I have been sitting down long enough that I'm starting to get stiff again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe Maggie was mad that you left her. I had so much fun last week. It took 2 days to rest up from all the shopping and visiting that we did. Froggy

Otter Mom said...

That thought did occur to me. But Maggie is not the sharpest crayon in the box!

I'm not sure if I'm rested up and recovered from the shopping frenzy yet.