Friday, September 24, 2010

First Friday of Fall!

Fall is one of my favorite seasons, I like Fall the best and then spring.  Winter and then summer.  Usually in that order!  Fall in this part of the country is pretty, lots of maples trees here.  I've heard natives say that the seasons don't change here, but trust me - they do.  In South TEXAS, there are 4 seasons:  summer summer summer & Christmas.

We had the septic inspection this afternoon.  Basically, she walked around the yard and looked for seepage spots.  There weren't any, and everything looks fine.  This is the last inspection as far as we know - we didn't know we had to have the survey done until the surveyor called me to set it up.  But I can't think of anything else that would need to be inspected.

Maggie's had a confusing day.  First, somebody came to the door (septic inspector) that wasn't her Otter so she was a little disappointed.  Then, I thought I heard the bus so I said "bus" to the dogs which means that it's time to go stand in front of the door - only it wasn't the bus, so strike # 2 for Maggie.  Then when the bus really did come and her Otter got off, Maggie was beside herself with joy.  Poor dog could hardly stand up, she was wiggling so hard!

Maggie got into a little disgrace yesterday.  She got out.  Bill got home before I did, Otter and I had a billion errands and went to the grocery store.  He didn't see the dogs anywhere, they were still out in their yard, and he opened the garage door so he could have some light and ventilation when he got to work with his power tools.  Somewhere in there, Maggie apparently came back into the garage and figured out that the door was open.  She went over the block at some point, probably after a while of not seeing any of her people, and apparently didn't see Bill on the other side of the garage with his noisy tools.  Bill didn't realize that she was out until he saw a woman walking up the street who asked him if he'd seen her dog - a rottweiler.  He hadn't, but then he saw that there was a beagle more or less following her and he said he thought to himself that the lady had a beagle that looked a lot like Maggie.  Then he realized that it WAS Maggie.  She came to him and he put her back in the yard, and then put stuff in front of the block so she couldn't get back over it.  But she could have very easily gotten lost, beagles start following that nose and they can go for miles.

Otter had an unanticipated day off of school yesterday.  When we got up, we noticed that we had very little water pressure.  But that sometimes happens out here in the middle of almost-nowhere, so we weren't overly concerned.  I keep a few gallons of distilled water on hand because it's happened often enough.  Then while we were eating breakfast, the phone rang and it was an automated message but it was just ending and we didn't know what it was.  The last time we got one of those, it was the phone company informing us that A T & T's phone service in the area was out - but A T & T isn't in this area.  Fast forward until 7:00, Otter gets on the bus and then a few minutes later I get another automated call on my cell phone and home phone at the same time - apparently the first call was the city, telling us that there was a major water main break and the city would be without water for at least a few hours and the second two calls were the automated call from the school district.  Informing us that school was cancelled.  This is after the bus picked up.  I called the school office and they confirmed the closure and said that they were trying to get al lthe buses turned around.  I left a voice mail for Otter on her cell phone and she called me back shortly, because the bus driver was turning around and bringing them all back.  I'm not sure if he told the riders what was going on or not.  Anyway, she got home about 10 minutes later.  She decided she wanted to go to work with me, she would have been fine at home but we didn't know if/when we'd have water again so I would have suggested she go with me anyway.  The water main was repaired or at least the water was re-routed by late morning/early afternoon.  Since Otter was with me, we decided that we needed to go out to lunch.  She chose Mexican food.  It was delicious!  Otter said she'd been wanting chips & salsa served on a table by someone other than herself for a long time.  So we had extra chips!  And they were so, so good.  But it was back to school for her today.  No more non-snow snow days this week.

And now, my yarn stash is calling me.

No comments: