Sunday, September 26, 2010

Sunday Chill

Chill as in cool weather, although Chilly would have been appropriate.  So would Chili!  Especially since we just had some for dinner.

It was in the 50's last night.  We've had several cooler nights but last night seems to have been the coldest so far.  It was chilly and crisp this morning, really felt nice especially after the summer of extended heat that we just had.  Today is the first day I've needed my jacket.  Otter's worn hers a few times already, some of her classes are cold and the bus can be drafty if the windows are open.

Bill's been working on his newest pachinko cabinet.  He's making a double cabinet this time.  We had to go to Lowe's earlier, he ran out of screws and I wanted to see if the tulip bulbs were in yet.  The bulbs were in, so Otter picked out the rest that she wanted and while we were there I bought two packs of filters for the humidifiers.  Because we'll probably have to make the switch from fan to humidifier soon.  Bill found a few other things he wanted and then we headed home.  We were nearly home when he realized that he'd gotten all sorts of things he wanted, but not what he originally went for - the wood screws.  So we went to another hardware store that we were closer to, he found the screws and a few other toys and then we hit a thrift store on the way home.

Otter needed a new coat, we didn't think that they would be out yet but while we were at the thrift we checked.  They had quite a few, in very good shape and fairly cheap.  Otter found one for $13.00.  It's nice, warm and she said it's comfortable.  I also found one for the same price.  I have a suede coat I bought at the same thrift 2 years ago for about $16.00 and it's warm, but it's bulky and is now a little too big.  I hadn't actually planed on replacing it yet, but I found one today so the suede one is going to be re-donated.  The new one has a hood, which is what I really wanted.  Otter also found a pair of really cool velour pants and a belt, and we ran into one of our friends while we were there.

I did some crochet done yesterday.  Big surprise there, I know!  :)  I'm enjoying the pillow project and I'm also managing to de-stash at least a little bit.  I started a surprise project for someone (Froggy - ask me and I'll tell you!).  Now that it's getting cooler, I'll probably be working on Bill's blanket more.  It's so big that I really don't want to work on it if the weather is warm.

Speaking of Bill, blankets and weather turning, we'll probably be switching quilts soon.  I like my quilt and it would be nice & warm in the winter, but Bill wants equal time for his camo quilt.  Not yet, but soon.

The dogs have been really crazy today.  Very playful and fun.  Magginator especially, she seems to really enjoy the cooler weather and will play with one of her assorted tug toys until kingdom come as Mom used to say.  She even gets Fraiser to play with her.  He's not particularly playful, but when they both start - watch out!  Feet are not safe, they run over anything and anyone in their path and they are so noisy.  But they have a very good time, so we just try to stay out of the way or play with them.  They are nutso.

I forgot about something that I learned at the vet's office last week.  The clerk told me that she thought our neighbor had gotten another cat.  Another hairless cat, I think they are called Sphinx Cats but I can't remember for sure.  She thinks it's the same lady, and I get the distinct feeling that the vet clerk is not impressed with her.  She said that this one is a young cat and that it's mean.  It took several people to hold it down for the vet to check it and it also bit one of the girls pretty badly.  The neighbor had to order this cat from wherever it came from and they are not cheap.  When I get an animal, I like to go see it and it's parents, people and surroundings.  I like to watch it a while and see what kind of personality it has.  Especially if there is money involved.  But this cat was ordered and paid for, then delivered and from what the vet said it's mean and not just because it was in new surroundings.  Bill said that he saw several dogs running across the yard earlier today, he thinks that it might have been the 5 that this same neighbor has.  We hope that she keeps the cat in!

I've been cooking today.  Along with the chili, I made Beanie Weenie Surprise for Bill, it's in the freezer for a couple of his lunches.  Along with some of the chili & pasta.  I also made a pineapple upside down cake.  I really enjoyed having the time to cook today.  I haven't had much time lately.  This coming week looks like a busy one as well.

Back to my laundry now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We cooked chicken in the chicken pot yesterday. I really like this pot. We bought it at Walmart. You put some water in the bottom, then the chicken holder. Then carrots, celery, mushrooms, etc. Then the chicken goes in on one end. This keeps all the grease in the bottom and away from the chicken. It cooks a couple of hours and the chicken is so moist and tender.
If the cat is really expensive, it will probably be an inside cat.
Froggy

Otter Mom said...

The last cat was let out more than once, she said that her daughter let it out the last time but I'd seen it several times before that and I hope that she won't let this one out. But with this neighbor, we never know what to expect. The word Strange comes to mind. Strange in a bad way!