Sunday, September 12, 2010

Sunday Spuds

Spuds, as in potatos.  As in potato soup, because I think I'm going to make it for dinner tonight.  Probably.  Spud is also an oilfield related term.  But the kind I'm referring to is kind you eat.  Not what happens when the drill bit hits the dirt to start the drilling process.  Spud, when referring to drilling a well, is one of those words that is singular and plural at the same time.

Yesterday was a very quiet day.  Saturdays are normally relaxed days for us that we really enjoy.  But yesterday was quieter than normal.  I've lost count of how many naps happened around my house yesterday, but the first one was at 9:00 a.m.  It was a very quiet day!

Otter and I had a couple of errands today, and we made sure that our route took us past a couple of thrift stores.  She found a couple of things, I didn't find anything but it was still fun.  We went to WalMart to look for something and didn't find what we were looking for, but we did find tulip bulbs.  We bought a package of an unusual pink tulip.  We'll still get more, Otter likes a variety and a lot in her tulip bed.  We didn't want to forget them like we did last year, so even though it's early we bought some.

I'm also beginning to see mums in the stores.  I'm not sure if I want to put them in the whiskey barrel or not.  I might decide not to, so I'm not getting any at this point.

Part of my Sunday activities included tieing up my sunflower plant in the back yard.  It's up close to the house and it is very top heavy, it's full of blooms and buds.  It fell over in the last day or so, Otter and I were going to cut all the blooms off this morning but we discovered that the plant stalk wasn't actually broken.  So I got out my small nylon rope (which is actually for a crochet project eventually) and tied it to a hook that used to hold a birdfeeder up under the eave (eve?).  Then we looped it around the stalk a few times and stood the plant up, slowly and gently.  We didn't want to break the stalk or damage the plant so it's still a little crooked but it's at least not laying on the grass now.  The other end of the nylon rope is looped and tied around a protruding sandstone on the house.  There were billions of bumblebees on the sunflower blooms, they left when we were standing the plant back up but they probably came right back after we finished.  There were lots of them, and some of them were fairly big.  Bumblebees are fun to watch.  They were not aggressive at all, they usually aren't, but I wasn't sure how they would react since we were moving the flowers.  They were pretty laid back, one almost flew into my forehead but it was not aggressive - just buzzing by and I walked into it's flight path.  It looked kind of surprised, then it went on around me and continued on it's way.

We still have hummingbirds.  We will have them for a while, not not too much longer.  I had to refill one of my feeders yesterday and possibly will have to refill another one in the next day or so.  But they won't be here much longer.  The locusts or cicadas are pretty much gone, once we get a few cool nights they disappear.  I haven't heard any tree frogs lately, but the bullfrogs are still here because we've seen a couple.  But it won't be too much longer, then they'll all be gone for the fall/winter.

I added a few rows to the Dr. Who scarf yesterday.  I measured it a little under 20".  I also finished up the second side of the first throw pillow cover.  I did a little miscellaneous crochet.  In between naps!

I think I'd better go check on William.  I keep hearing suspicious noises from the living room, followed by Bill noises!  He's probably working on a pachinko machine, hopefully there aren't pieces of it all over the place in the living room because he might have just dropped something or had one fall over!

No comments: