Sunday, September 05, 2010

Sunday Sewing

And other stuff.

The other stuff first:


If you were driving down the interstate on the NE side of Tulsa a week or so ago, this is what you would have seen by the side of the highway.

Today, this is what you would see.





Otter took these from the window of my car as we were driving past where the theater used to be.



We drove up to the gate, there were a lot of people there.  And even more driving past & in the driveway.  The screen used to be right behind the marquee in the center of this picture, which Otter got out of the car to take.  Not visible is the fund raising that has already started.  A local company is selling t-shirts with 100% of the profit going towards the rebuilding and there are several other people/companies taking donations as well.  On Friday, it didn't look like it would be possible.  The structure was uninsured but that was because it's impossible to get fire insurance on a double sided, 9-story tall structure that is basically made of wood.  The owner was pretty distraught.  But there are so many people now that are helping him financially that it does look like the Admiral Twin will rise again.  Possibly as early as next Spring.  We really hope it happens.  Tulsa needs it.  Even though drive-in movies are pretty much gone, this one was nearly always full.

Froggy, I'd like to hear more about that date you had at a drive-in!

The sewing in the title refers to the fact that Otter and I decided to get some sewing projects out of the way today.  And we would probably be finished already, if the sewing machine had cooperated.  Actually, it was the thread.  It kept getting caught on the bottom of the spool and breaking.  I finally figured out what the problem was with that, fixed it and got back to work.  Only to have the bobbin run out!  I got that taken care of and then discovered that I didn't have any thread in the right color for the next projects.  So we ran off to the fabric store, which is Hancock's and they happened to be having a huge, HUGE sale for Labor Day and they were very crowded.  I don't know if I'm going to get back to sewing tonight, or if I'm just going to wait and start again in the morning.  Right now, I'm leaning in the direction of starting again tomorrow.

We were without internet service from last night until this afternoon.  We've been having problems with it lately, when it was out last night and didn't come back we realized that it was probably not the carrier.  Bill called them and they said that they'd send someone out Monday.  But when Otter and I got back from our errands, the truck was in front of the house and he was nearly finished.  It turned out to be a bad cable, which was replaced and he also gave us a new modem since the other one was a few years old.

Otter and I went to the fabric store as I mentioned before, drove by the drive-in and went to a thrift store.  I found a few kitchen glasses and she got a couple of books.  It was fun, we haven't been to this one in a while.

I finished the prayer shawl yesterday.  I'm so glad to be through with it, it's a fun project but it seemed to take me a long time to finish.  I'm going to get pictures and post them on the craft blog and then mail it to the person I made it for on Tuesday.  I'm needing some small projects, and I may have already mentioned that I'm going to make throw pillows for the living room.  I'm going to make granny square covers, I've started that already.  But the pillow forms are while and will show through the granny squares.  So I bought two different colors of brown fabric to make covers out of, which is why I needed to go get thread today, and the squares will be attached on the outside.  Like the camo throw pillow that is on the craft blog with the other pillows I made.

I'm not in the market for a book shelf anymore!  Bill was given a bunch of scrap lumber last week, so he decided to make us one.  I'll post pictures of it on the craft blog, but it won't be finished for a couple of days.  He's finished with the construction, it's just a matter of finishing the varnishing process which can take a couple of days due to drying time.

We had an early dinner tonight.  Spaghetti!  Spaghetti is one of my favorite foods.  There are very few weeks that go by without it being dinner at least once a week, sometimes twice a week.  We haven't had it for two or three weeks, which almost never happens, so it was time for it today.  Nothing fancy, just spaghetti & ragu sauce.  Bill and Otter are not big meatball fans, so I almost never make meatballs or even meat sauce.  But it's good anyway.

Back to my laundry now. :(

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What happens at a drive in theater
stays there. I will just say octopus.
That is all. I mowed the back yard this morning. The front yard needs it but it may have to wait. We could get as much as 7 inches of rain from Tuesday through Thursday. Then again we may get none. It all depends on where the tropical storm goes in. The further in to Mexico, the less rain we should get.
It sounds like your sewing machine needs to get serviced-cleaned and adjusted. Froggy

Otter Mom said...

There are no places in my area that service sewing machines in my area anymore. The last one closed several months ago.