Friday, September 03, 2010

Sad Day for Tulsa

There are not too many drive-in theaters left anymore.  When I was a kid, it was a fun treat to go to the drive-in.  I don't think we went too many times, but the times we did go stick out in my memory.  As an adult, there was one left in San Antonio and we saw Ghostbusters there.

Over time, they went the way of the dinosaur.  Replaced by indoor, air-conditioned theaters.  Which are still fun, but they've lost something.  It was always fun to go see a movie while sitting in your car.  Or on a lawn chair outside of the car.

Then we moved to Tulsa.  And there was still a drive-in!  Otter saw Men in Black there, when she was fairly young.  She enjoyed it and so did we.  Our previous house was not too far from the theater, the Admiral Twin Drive In.

It was the setting for a movie made a few years ago, The Outsiders.  I've never been a big fan of the story, but it's still a pretty big thing around here since it was filmed there and the original story was written by a local author.  It's still a popular place, first-run movies and lots of attendance.

Today, this happened.


Bad news for everybody.  Tulsa has had a lot of issues lately, most of them have been negative.  This is just one more bad thing to happen, I guess.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember going to the DriveIn. I think we always took snacks but we did get to buy popcorn. I think sometimes we went in our pj's, and took pillows. We also once in a while got to sit outside in lawn chairs. I can also remember that we had to drive to many spots to find one that had good speakers. The speakers were hung inside the car on one of the windows. I also went on a date to a drive in movie. That is all to be said about that. Froggy