Monday, September 06, 2010

Happy Labor Day!

We had this:


Made from this:



But it was too windy to actually grill, so we made them on this:



And it was a pretty good meal.  We also had potato salad & macaroni salad and Otter had nacho flavored doritos because she's not a macaroni salad or potato salad fan.  Well, that just meant that there was more for Bill and I. :)

Anyway.

The rest of our Labor Day has been spent alternating between working around the house and goofing off.  Bill's been cleaning out stuff in the garage (wow!) and he's managed to come up with two or three trash bags full of stuff to throw out, a good size box of stuff to donate and possibly some stuff to eBay.  He's still got a whole lot of things out there to go through, but anything that will help to reduce the clutter out there is good.  Otter and I got the vacuuming done and we've had a few minor housecleaning items we attended to.  But we've also spent a lot of time on the couch in front of the tv, reading and quickly running up to Wallyworld this morning.  For potato salad, since the potatos I just bought less than a week ago had already gone bad so no homemade potato salad today.

It's warm and pretty windy today.  I don't think it's really hot, probably around 90.  But the weather is probably going to change radically tomorrow through about Thursday, thanks to the tropical storm that has popped up in the gulf near Brownsville (deep South Texas).  It's not extremely common for tropical storms and/or hurricanes to get this far inland, but it's been known to happen.

Of course, it's probably all going to hit us on Wednesday afternoon/evening, which is when we have all our inspections scheduled!  (We're refinancing the house).

My rain barrel will be happy, it does have some rain water in it now but Otter reports that it's bright green again.  I'm not sure what I'm going to do about that this time, I did research it awhile back and the most common suggestion was to paint the barrel a dark color so that sunlight can't get through as easily.  OK, we painted it dark green.  And the water still gets green, just as much as it did before.  I guess the next step is going to see what we can add to the water, since the green is caused by algae and possibly mold.  We are having better luck with skeeters this year, the mosquito dunks really do work.  They don't affect the water color and algae/mold issues.  Just wrigglers!

I gave up on my sewing projects yesterday.  The thread kept breaking and at one point, I pulled the spool off of the machine and threw it across the dining room (the thread, not the machine!).  But Otter brought it back to me, so I tried it again.  I adjusted the tension on the machine.  And the thread promptly broke again.  Which is when I pulled it off and told Otter to throw it away (the thread!).  And then I seriously considered putting the machine itself into the donate pile.  Then I put it all away with intentions of getting back on it today, but I haven't had a chance yet.  I have had issues with this machine before.  I have had it about 5 years, and I really haven't used it that much.  But it's been troublesome just about every time I've used it lately.

Well, as Scarlett O'Hara says:  I'll worry about that tomorrow!  Or several tomorrows away, anyway.

I think I'll go get into my Blue Bell Rocky Road now.  Chocolate cures everything. :)

No comments: