Sunday, September 19, 2010

Sunday Blues

Not blues as in depressed or sad, just blue!  For a couple of reasons.  Here's the first one:

We still have some morning glories, the ones that were originally there have survived and are blooming.  But there aren't very many of them.  The ones that grew really full and then died were probably the new seeds I planted this year.  It's the same story against the back fence, the new ones died and the old ones have come back.  I don't think we'll be planting any more seeds, the blue ones are very pretty and seem to be healthy.  Because we do have blooms, they will reseed like they have always done.


This is a closer shot of Otter's trellis.  By this time, it's usually so full that you can't even see the trellis underneath all the vines.


This shade of blue is my favorite color, so I'm not unhappy that it's the only color we'll have.  I'm just glad we still have them at all.

This is a stair-step plant stand that I didn't use this year, so it's on the side of the deck by the dining room window.  The morning glories apparently liked it, since they have climbed it.

Here's the other reason for the title.  The real reason, actually.

Baby Blues!  And it's not alone, there are four other bluebonnets coming up in the whiskey barrel.  When they get a little bigger, they will be transplanted into pots and brought inside.  They have shallow root systems and I have transplanted them before without a problem, but that was in the spring.  Which is when that are supposed to sprout!  We think that these are just confused because they are not in their Native Element.

Movie review:  Prince of Persia.  We rented it.  It was ok, it wasn't exactly oscar quality but it was a decent movie.  But it was just too "busy."  Too much happened in too short a time!  The acting was ok, not the best but not the worst either.  It was just too long and too busy.  But it wasn't horrible.  It would have been a disappointment if we'd paid theater price, however.

I got some crochet done yesterday.  I'm just about finished with the second pillow cover.  Then I am going to make the one Otter wants, which will just leave me two more for the living room.  I didn't get as much crochet done yesterday as I wanted, but I did at least get some done.  I'm trying to de-stash and the pillow covers are helping quite a bit.  Of course, I still have plenty of yarn in the stash.  :)

Doggieboos go to the vet Tuesday.  Shots, heart worm tests and behind squishing for Maggie Moo.

As I answered Froggy in an earlier comment, we've been slowly bringing the dogs back inside at night.  Winter is coming, after all.  They've been doing ok, but Friday night was really a strange night for the Maggsters.  She tracks flies when she sees them, if she can she'll catch them.  There was one that was all over the living room, it wasn't flying very high and kept landing on the floor.  Every time it would land, she would try to get it but it always got away.  After that, Maggie acted really strange.  Well, she acts strange anyway but really strange this time.  She acted like she was scared of something.  Really scared.  We never could figure out if she was seeing the fly and not realizing what it was since we'd turned out the living room light already (Otter was staying up watching Dr. Who and turned out the light when Bill and I were heading off to bed).  After we'd been in bed for a while, I heard a noisy dog collar jingle in the hallway and thought that something was wrong so I got up.  And nearly ran into Otter in the hallway, with the flashlight.  Seems the noise I heard was Maggie jumping the baby gate we use to keep them out of the hallway & bedrooms.  We looked in Otter's room and the office, no sign of the beagle.  Which meant that she was probably under my bed - and that's exactly where she was.  Acting scared!  We pulled her out, which she did not want, and I carried her back to the living room.  I wound up sitting there with Otter watching the show, and Maggie would not let me out of her sight the entire time.  When the show was over and we decided to go to bed (again in my case!), Maggie kept trying to jump the block again so we finally just put them outside.  She's been fine since then, but it has us all concerned.  There have been a couple of times when she's been having doggie dreams that almost looked like siezures, but we're not really sure.

We've been through a dog literally going schizo on us.  The first Tagalong.  It's not a fun thing, schizophrenia is rare in dogs but it is very bad.  In the first Tagalong's case, he was perfectly fine and literally in the blink of an eye he was wild.  To the point that he attacked me.  He didn't know me or seem to know anything, he was just a solid mass of anger.  And teeth.  He was about Maggie's size, not very big, so I was able to keep him from doing any real damage although I did have bruises.  I wound up tossing him in the bathroom and shutting the door.  He was still angry, he sounded like he was going to tear down the door and I finally just left him in there and went to my parent's house for the night - this was during the time that Bill and I were divorced so he wasn't around at that point.  The next morning, Dad comes over with me and there is no noise from the bathroom.  I opened the door slowly and the dog was fine, happy to see me and acted like normal.  I talked to our vet and described what happened, he said that it was classic schizo symptoms and that I didn't have a lot of options.  It could be a one-time occurance, but it usually wasn't.  I had to keep a close eye on the dog in case it happened again.  Unfortunately, it did.  At that point, I had no choice.  I had to have him put down.  He was one of the best dogs we've ever had and it nearly killed me to do it, but there was nothing else I could do because it would have continued and would in all probability have escalated.  I'd been lucky the first time, but he could have seriously hurt me.  We loved that dog so much that when Otter was very young and we got her a dog, we named him Tagalong the Second.

I am going to talk to the vet, but I really don't think we're dealing with the same thing with Maggie Moo.  It's just that, having been through it once, I know what to look for.  Mostly, I really do think that Maggie was scared because she was pretty good up until the light was turned off and then she probably wasn't able to see the fly until it zoomed by her.  Which it was doing, I think it was probably not healthy because it didn't seem to be able to fly very high.


I am going to post pictures on the craft blog, possibly I'll get it done this week, of the bookshelf that Bill built.  It's getting regular use, since it's for our library books and we make regular trips to the library.  He's been building a wall-mounted double case for his pachinko machines today.  He has a bunch of wood that was given to him and he's using it.  It's the same wood he used for the bookshelf.  He might be getting another pachinko machine tomorrow.

I think he's got close to 30 now!

No comments: