Thursday, November 07, 2013

We Got There..

It was 31 degrees when we left the house this morning.  Maybe that means that my Fall allergies will be a little better?  It won't knock them all out until we have a good, hard freeze.  That may be a little while.  But I'm hoping that at least some of the crud has been killed.
 
I also had my first official nosebleed of the season.  Dry air always causes them.  It wasn't bad, it was just unexpected.  But, being a redhead...  Anyway, I put the humidifier in the bedroom a couple of nights ago, on my side of the bed and close to the head of the bed.  It has helped some, I've slept better and when I wake up I'm less stuffy.
 
Not cold enough for a fire yet, though.  We still need to get the chimney cleaned anyway, which we are going to try to schedule for Thanksgiving week since Bill's taking vacation days that week.  If, that is, I can ever remember which company we used in 2009 when we had the chimney rebuilt!
 
The dogs seem to be enjoying the colder weather as well.  When I got home, Otter and I let the dogsters out in the back yard while we did "walnut patrol."  They were very playful.  Frasier particularly.  He ran and ran and ran and ran and ran...To Infinity and Beyond.  He ran over Maggie Moo several times, she finally figured it out and she tried to trip him several times.  She was on the losing end of his craziness quite a bit but she seemed to have as good a time as he did.  He was so funny, I have never seen him run quite so much and he was smiling.  If the grey on his muzzle wasn't so evident, I'd say he was a young puppy.
 
Walnut Patrol consists of picking up black walnuts which fall from the tree in the (nice) neighbor's back yard.  The tree in question was originally outside of his yard, but then fence the builders put up many years ago enclosed the tree into his yard.  The builder is going to move the fence, but the neighbor is contesting it so it's still in his yard.  The builder will probably eventually win the this one.  When that happens, the builder will take out the tree which is not in good shape anyway.  It never really recovered from the ice storm in 2007.  It's a Black Walnut tree and we've literally picked up hundreds of the things.  It has always dropped them in our yard, but never as bad as this year.  They are poisonous if the dogs eat them, or at least can make them sick.  Of course, that means that the dogs love them!  The neighbor may take the tree down himself, he said it would work great to use with his smoker.  Whichever way, either the builder or the neighbor, I hope it is taken out soon.  It won't take much, another ice storm or a bad wind storm like we had last summer and the tree may not still be standing.  The problem is that it might not be standing because it fell over in my yard, on my shed, on my fence or on someone or someone's pets.
 
TGIF tomorrow!

No comments: