Sunday, August 03, 2014

Weekend and Shopping Stuff

It's Sales-Tax-Free Weekend.  Otter and I went shopping!  Big surprise...  Anyway, we went to the mall yesterday and spent a few hours there.  And bought nothing!  We went to 2 different Targets stores, a few smaller stores and were ready to just give up and go home empty-handed.  We bought lunch at Whataburger (It's a Texan Thing) and decided to give thrifting a try.  We went to two Goodwills, and those are the only places we actually bought something at.  Well, we did go to Michael's but that was for something specific that Otter wanted and not connected with sales-tax-free shopping (I found yarn but you aren't surprised at that, are you?!)  Anyway, I found one blouse at the first Goodwill.  Otter found one blouse and one skirt at the 2nd Goodwill.  We knew we would get stuff at Wallyworld, but we were tired and my feet hurt so we put that off until today.
 
Otter found a pair of pink converse-type sneakers at Wally.  I got a package of socks.  So exciting!  Bill needed jeans and pj bottoms, he needs new jeans on a regular basis so they were already on my list to get this weekend.  A few weeks back, I bought him a pair of pj bottoms with the Captain America logo on them.  The tag said that they were the right size, and so did the size label printed on them.  So, I washed them and put them in his drawer.  I came home one day and he had just put them on - let's just say that it was a sight not to be missed!  I think that they were actually a larger children's or small adult size, but they were mislabeled.  I would imagine that there was a run of mislabeled pj's one day but Hane's quality control left a little to be desired.  They fit Otter, although they are a little long for her (happens often).  They are now in her pj drawer and she wears them often.  Today, I triple checked the size on the pj's Bill usually wears and then found a pair at Wally.  I checked the inside label and the sewn-in laundry instructions on the ones he had and I even copied down the numbers on the tag.  Of course, the ones at Wally had a different number on the tag!  I decided to grab them while there and made sure they were the same size as the previous pair and they are, so Bill now has enough pj's to lounge around in.
 
I think we saved about $7 or $8 this weekend.  Not nearly as much as in years past, but then again we don't have to buy school clothes and that always added up fast.
 
Bill's incision site looks pretty good.  He uncovered it yesterday so he could clean it up and start using the medicated ointment.  He's trying hard not to over use his hand but it's difficult.  The lawn desperately needs to be moved but he's not able to.  I was going to mow it and went to get gas for the mower this morning, but it's really humid and I can't really breathe outside so Bill won't let me - I'm not arguing with him about it, either!  I'm calling someone tomorrow to get both the front and back mowed, I was just going to mow the front but they both need it and it will be worth whatever we have to pay to get it done.
 
One other thing happened at Goodwill.  Well, almost happened.  We think someone tried to grab Otter's purse.  I had noticed a younger girl, maybe mid-teens or thereabouts, a few times because she seemed to be in the same area we were quite often.  I always notice that and then I always watch when that happens.  I'm really glad I did this time.  Otter was standing in front of, but not right close to, the shelves where the stuffed animals are kept at.  I was standing by her, she was facing to my left and her purse was hanging on her shoulder more of less between us but slightly towards her back.  I noticed the same girl coming towards us with a larger stuffed animal in her right hand and she was almost running - and she was looking straight at Otter's purse and starting to reach out with her left hand.  Otter became aware of her movement just as I did, she was starting to turn around just as I reached my right hand up VERY FAST and got it between the girl and Otter's purse.  As soon as she saw my hand and arm go up, she (the girl) looked up at me and the only way I can describe her expression is either a) Deer in the Headlights or b) Caught and she knew it.  More B than A, actually.  She grabbed the stuffed animal out of her right hand with her left hand and threw it in the general direction of the shelves, then she turned around and RAN as fast as she could to the other side of the store.  We watched her and she was doing everything she could NOT to be seen.  I think she left immediately after, it looked like she was with a couple of other people and I think what happened is that she "reported in" that she'd been spotted and that we were on to her because they cleared out in record time.  There is no way we misinterpreted what nearly happened and we have zero doubt as to what the girls intention was.
 
Two things would have happened:  A)  I would have put the little b--ch down on the floor and held her there while yelling for Otter to call 911 AND B)  Otter's a black belt, and she's got the reflexes so do I need to explain?
 
Otter may be petite, but she is a RHTW in her own right.  With a black belt.  She's also her mother's daughter.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you kept your eyes open. Unfortunately that is the way it is now.
It is amazing the number of women who leave their purses open with the wallet on top and in the basket when they walk away. Froggy