Friday, July 13, 2007

Friday the 13th

Which really doesn't mean anything to be except that yesterday was the 12th and tomorrow if the 14th. But some people might think that I should revise my opinion, considering the fact that I got rear-ended today! By a teenage kid who by his own admission was at fault, and by his uncle's admission - the kid has no license. There really is no damage to the car beyond a scratch on the fender and I feel fine but I will keep an eye on myself (and my back) as well as Otter who was in the car at the time, and if I feel the slightest bit of anything at all I will go to the ER tomorrow. The problem was the attitude of the cop who came out, he was borderline rude and refused to take a report because it was "just cosmetic" damage. I even tried to get the cop to ask for our ID, and he wouldn't even do that! Talk about someone who thinks he's God. The boy that hit me did admit that it was his fault and he stayed there, and I feel like it really was an honest accident on his part. The cop couldn't leave fast enough, after he left I told the kid that he really needed to start paying attention when he drives and that if he has another accident and there is damage or injury that if he doesn't have a license he should be prepared to be hauled off to jail. Which wouldn't necessarily happen up here in Backwards, I mean Oklahoma, but I felt like he needed a little Fear of God put into him. I have his name, address & phone number in case I need it. I also have the cop's card, and Bill is considering calling him (after he calms down) and asking to speak to his supervisor.

The boy called his uncle on the phone, and I spoke with the uncle. He offered me money to stop the police report. Which does not sit well with me. I told him, politely but very firmly, that I would let the police handle it and that was the way it was going to be.

(And no, I really don't think it had anything to do with Friday the 13th!).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have you had any pain today? If you or Jessie have any please go to the doctor right away. Yes, one of you should speak to the cops supervisor. I don't think he should have been able to refuse to write a report. Did he know the boy or the boy's family? Sounds like the good ole boy syndrome.
We were cutting the front yard and there was a big frog. We scared it away from the mower and it was fine. There are 3 natural areas closed here because of possible mountain lion sightings. Froggy