Sunday, August 02, 2009

July Books & Sunday Stuff

First things first! My book list for July:

1. October Song by Beverly Lewis. Rerun, but still good.

2. Just Take My heart by Mary Higgins Clark. Fluff as usual and not up to her usual standards. I usually read her books when I want somethis light and fast.

3. Heart & Soul by Maeve Binchy. Rerun but I enjoyed it more the second time around.

4. True Crime, an American Anthology by Harold Schecter. This is an anthology of works by many different authors, I skipped most of it but there was an Ann Rule story I wanted to read.

5. They laughed...From Light Bulbs to Lasers, the Fascinating Stories Behind the Great Inventions that Have Changed Our Lives by Ira Flatow. Yes, that really is the title! Frankly, the title was more interesting than the book.

6. Where's My Jetpack? A Guide to the Amazing Sci-Fi Future That Never Arrived by Daniel H. Wilson, PHD. See # 5 for my opinion!

7. Last Man Out by John Fenton Wheeler. He was the last US reporter kicked out of Cuba after Castro's takeover during the cold war. Very interesting.

8. Batman, Gotham County Line by Steve Niles, Scott Hampton and Jose Villarubia. Yes, I still like Batman stories.

9. Batman, Face the Face by James Robinson, Don Kramer & Leonard Kirk.

10. Death in Winter by Michael Jam Friedman. STTNG. (Star Trek The Next Generation for all you non-Trek fans). I think this is a rerun, I skimmed it and it was pretty familiar.

11. Handle With Care by Jodi Picoult. Froggy told me about this author. The story was interesting but I am not impressed with the author's writing skills. However, I'll probably look for other books by her. There is a recent movie that is based on one of her books, the title is something like The Other Sister. Froggy was going to see it with her daughter, I'll probably see if I can find the book.

12. Life at the Zoo, Behind the Scenes with the Animal Doctors by Phillip T. Robinson. OK, not anything spectacular.

13. Summer on Blossom Street by Debbie McComber. Another author that Froggy told me about. This one is actually part of a series, I might be caught up now but I'm not sure. Her books are good, but still fluff. However, one of the main repeating characters owns a yarn shop so knitting and crochet are frequently featured - so of course, I'm going to read more of her work! I'm also not sure if I'm spelling her last name correctly.

14. Mystic River by Dennis LeHayne. This was turned into a movie a few years ago, which I have not seen, but it was a pretty good book. Suspensful to the end.

15. Unwind by Neal Shusterman. This book is actually in the teen section at the library, Otter suggested I read it, she read it a little while back. It's not extremely well written, but it is one I would recommend. It's got a very pro-life angle, although you might not realize it until the end. It's actually fairly harrowing.

16. Susannah's Garden by Debbie McComber.

17. Back on Blossom Street by Debbie McComber.

18. Gardens for Birds, Hummingbirds & Butterflies. This is part of the Black & Decker Home series.

19. Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince (# 6) by J. K. Rowling. After we saw the movie, Otter decided to re-read the entire series and I decided to re-read this one. But I might go back and read the first 5 books again.

Otter will be home tomorrow! It's been pretty quiet around the house this week. We did manage to go out to dinner Friday night, to a local bbq place we'd heard good things about. It's called Wild Bill's, which was probably the main reason that Bill wanted to go. It was very good, reasonably priced and a good amount of food. We'll go back.

Speaking of Wild Bill, he's stripped a lot of stuff off of the parts car and is now ready to find it a new home. The parts car, not the White Lightning! It's listed on Craigslist and he's already had some interest. So we might not have a Redneck yard for much longer. He did a lot of stuff to the White Lightning over the last few days and we took it for a test drive just now. He let me drive it this time, we went to the turnpike where the speed is 70 and let me just say this: 70 IS NOT FAST ENOUGH! It is a go-fast car if there ever was one.

Also, our tenant called us yesterday. They have bought a house and will be moving at the end of August. While I am happy for them, we would have preferred that they stay for a while. But at least they gave us notice and we don't have to evict them, which we've had to do twice in the past. We're discussing our options. We are leaning very strongly towards putting the house on the market to sell instead of rent, but we haven't decided yet. We never really set out to be landlords, it just kind of happened.
I'm sure that there was more, but it will wait for another post. This one is kind of long!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The book is My Sister's Keeper

The Debbie Macomber books are fluffy fun reads. The crochet and knitting just makes them more fun.
Had a good time with Otter yesterday.
A really good book to read 8 IN A BOX.

Froggy