Thursday, September 22, 2011

Summer's End

Well, it's late Summer.  It's about as late Summer as it can be, considering that tomorrow is the first day of Fall.

It's been a long, HOT summer and I'm actually glad it's over.  Today was cool, we might have got up to the high 60's.  We woke up to rain and thunder, the rain lasted until about noon or so.  I think it was the last season change, or possibly the one before, where the last day and first day had their weather switched.  We're wondering what tomorrow will be.

We had hamburgers and oven-fried tater tots tonight.  Appropriate Summer foods, we thought.  Tomorrow's meal is appropriate for Fall:  pot roast, potatoes-carrots-celery-onions and gravy.  We usually have something fun or special on Friday nights, but roast is something I usually cook on the weekend since it takes a couple of hours.  But I let Otter pick, and that's what she wanted.  Which is good, because I already had it on my grocery list!

I mentioned crochet last night, but I didn't quite get there.  I discovered that my winter skin has already arrived, also known as skin so dry it cracks & bleeds.  I have gloves to wear when I crochet, but I never quite got back to the stashcloset to get them.  Maybe tonight, but it's not looking promising.  Saturday, I'll probably spend several hours with a hook & yarn in my hands.

Short update, but that's it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I cook my pot roast in the crock pot. It turns out really tender-fall off the bone tender. It does take a while -6-8 hours, but it is worth it. I add potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic, sometimes mushrooms, I will probably cook one in the next few weeks. Froggy

Otter Mom said...

Send me the recipe! I use a cooking bag and put mine in the oven, but the crock pot idea sounds interesting.