Monday, August 20, 2012

Monday. All Day Long!

It's been a "day", as they say.

I didn't quite get finished with yesterday's post, I had an interruption.  No, Bill didn't hurt himself!  Although that is a logical thing to expect.  He did get the gutters cleaned out, which involved him climbing up on a ladder.  But the disruption was the "Teenager", as I refer to my older boss.  He lost his wallet, sometime on Friday is the last time he remembered seeing it.  But he didn't call me until yesterday, Sunday, and he thought he should probably cancel his credit card but he couldn't find the file I keep for him.  So, I went in to the office and helped him get it taken care of.  I didn't mind going in, he needed the help and I'm glad I could help him.  The wallet turned up today, it was at his home and was in a spot that had been checked more than once.  We've decided that he has Gremlins! :)

Back to Bill and the rain gutters.  We got rain Saturday, quite a bit of it and it lasted most of the day.  It was wonderful!  But we discovered that the rain gutters were clogged up in a couple of places.  All the leaves the trees have been shedding, due to the heat and dryness.  Most of the leaves apparently wound up in our rain gutters.  Bill got them cleaned out, and if we ever get rain again we'll be ready.

And because change seems to be the only thing around here that is constant, Otter changed her mind.  She was going to sit out this semester of college and work, she had some concerns about her grades and thought that maybe a break would be a good thing.  But she went out to the college and spent a lot of time with her counsellor, or whatever they are called at the college level, and she's decided not to sit out this semester after all.  She's changed the classes she is taking, she's not taking the original schedule.  She'll be going each day, her classes are just in the morning this time.  She might see about a part-time job, she had put in several applications already and had an interview with one place but hasn't heard back.  But that was when she was thinking she could work closer to full-time hours.  She's holding off on putting in anymore applications, at least for a short while.  She might see about working part-time this semester, but that's to be determined at a later date.

I did mention in yesterday's post that we bought a new vacuum.  While I was gone on my office errand, Bill ran it in the rest of the house.  I had only run it in the living room, with plans to get the rest of the house done in the evening.  Bill ran it for me, and he said he had to dump the cannister several times.  Less dog fur in the back of the house, but still enough "dirt" that we think the old one (the used one that was free) never really worked right at all.  As the Dyson commercial says, it lost suction!  Incidentally, the one we bought is a Bissell and it's probably about mid-range in terms of features and price.  Bill did want a Dyson originally, but I didn't - I think that they are overpriced and also after I looked at them, they seemed to be made of cheap, rather flimsy plastic.  Our carpet cleaner that we got a few years back is a Bissell.

Also, Bill had an errand.  I saw a pachinko on Craigslist, so we went to check it out.  The seller wanted to trade for antiques, Indian stuff or would consider cash.  He was originally saying something like $100 or maybe more, but then he said he'd consider $75.  Bill said it's probably only worth about $40, but they guy said he'd have to think about it.  One thing that the seller did was to tell Bill (after a couple of conversations) that he had someone else who "really seemed to want it" and Bill was pretty sure the guy was bluffing.  So, Bill told him that he should just go ahead and let that other person look at it and then call us if the guy didn't buy it.  He said the seller sounded surprised when Bill said that, and when Bill got off the phone he remarked to me that he thought he'd just called a bluff.  Which was apparently true, because the seller called back about 3 minutes later and suddenly was able to show it to Bill.  We went to look at it, and it's what Bill expected - a $40 machine.  The seller said he'd have to think about it, because he might want to get it restored instead.  Bill gave him a price quote for restoration.  We kind of got the feeling that he was going to talk to his wife about it, and we won't be surprised to get a call that he'll take $40.00 for it.

OK, I think Sunday's post is finished now!

Monday stuff:  Bill's working a b(oring)oard meeting tonight.  I took him dinner, he got Subway tonight.  Then I stopped at Whataburger and got Otter's dinner.  I'm not quite hungry yet, so I didn't get anything for myself.  I will probably get into the soup in the freezer in a while or maybe make a small salad.

I had planned on getting our flu shots at Walgreen's this year, like we've done the past couple of years.  But the health department and VNA, which sponser all of the shot clinics no matter where they are, are also going to have them at Wallyworld.  It will be about $11 or $12 cheaper for the Otter and myself, if we go there.  Wallyworld is already attempting to conquer the world, I guess that they are probably there now!  We'll see if they have to have a Redhead Lesson as well.  We'll still be getting them on the Friday of Labor Day weekend, which is the same day as Frasier's big adventure at the vet.  But I need the weekend and Monday off, since I am pretty much gauranteed to have some type of a reaction.  It's still do-able, I'll either get the Otter and the dog on my lunch hour that day or maybe get Otter at lunch and bring her home then get the dog after work and then we'll go back to the nearest Wallyworld which is just a few miles from the house.  Then we'll spend the next couple of days attempting to keep Fraiser from chewing on himself!  And possibly taking regular doses of Motrin, at least in my case.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

glad that Otter has decided to stay in college. What is her major?
We had a lot of rain and now we need to check our gutters. They don't go over the whole house just part of the front and maybe some of the side.
Froggy