Sunday, August 05, 2012

Humid! Sunday

It rained yesterday.  Just barely enough to even see, and just for a few minutes.  But it was enough to increase the humidity to the impossible-to-breathe-level.

Today is "only" supposed to be in the high 90's.  The next week is alternating between high 90's and just over 100.  I'm not going to tempt fate by discussing anything about the heat wave being over or the chances of that.  So, just fill in the blanks yourself!  :)

We supported Chick-Fil-A on Wednesday.  And so did a whole lot of other people.  Lines out the door at most stores, and that lasted all day long.  It was wonderful.  There were cars lining up on the street, just trying to get into the parking lot.  We had to park a little ways away and then walk, but even with the heat (and it was H.O.T.), we did not mind.  There were quite a few younger people in the store, which was a good thing to see.  We only saw two or three protesters.  Customers were buying food and drinks, and taking it out to them.  I don't think that a protester would be even half-way so considerate of anyone that they were opposed to.  The lack of news coverage was not surprising - there were some news reports, but not that many.  For me, it's not about gay vs. straight. It's about the fact that a private company with private ownership being targeted because the owner has his own opinion.  An opinion that does NOT say people aren't welcome or that he thinks they should be mistreated. Just that he does not agree with their lifestyle, which is his right.

I took Otter to the airport bright and early on Friday morning.  We were out of the house about 5:45 in fact, so it was not really "bright" but it was definitely early!  I stayed at the airport until she got through security, which wasn't too bad at that time of morning.  She'll be home next Friday afternoon.

After I dropped her off, it was too early to head to work.  Not enough time to head back home, but way too early for work.  So, I went to Wallyworld and got the few things I wanted to get during the Sales-Tax Free Weekend.  I was in Wallyworld about 6:45.  Bill needed jeans and socks and that only took me a few minutes.  So, I walked around Wallyworld for a while to kill time, and I still got to work pretty early.  I think I saved less than $4.00 in sales tax!  Big spender, I know. :)

1st Unspoken Prayer Request:  someone I know is having a really bad time at their job, with some really unpleasant things going on.  Prayers for clarity please.

2nd Unspoken Prayer Request:  someone else that I know has a big decision to make that will affect their future and it's a hard one.  Prayers for wisdom please.

We played hookey from Church today.  We hardly ever skip, but Bill had some concerns about our air conditioner and he wanted to clean the outside unit before it got beastly hot.  It's not beastly hot today after all, but it is beastly humid.  Anyway, the a/c unit is cleaner and working fine, but with a long-haired dog like Fraiser it will need to be cleaned more often that we have been cleaning it.  It was working, but it's been running just about 24/7 for the last several days because of our horribly hot weather and Bill wanted to make sure it was clean.  We do not want to have to deal with it going out, it's only a few years old and we bought a good unit but preventive maintenance is always a good idea.

Also, since Otter is on vacation (not fair!) I got to be the lucky person who cleaned up the dog's yard.  They leave many little presents that have to be cleaned up and removed.  Otter usually does this as soon as we get home from Church on Sunday mornings.  She always says that it's not fun, and I have to agree with her.  It's not fun!  But it's necessary.

I took some stuff to Goodwill earlier.  I did look around whle I was there, but I didn't find anything.  It was still fun.  Among the things I donated was the sewing machine I bought 5 or 6-ish years ago.  I never used it very much, but there were problems with it almost immediately.  It started breaking the thread almost every time I used it, there were issues with the thread from the bobbin coming out at varying speeds and that caused a lot of issues, it developed a horrible squeak and lube never helped it.  So, it's been sitting in the closet for a few years and I was thinking that I'd eventually get it serviced.  But then Froggy said something which made sense, about machines produced in the last few years not being well-made and then I did a little research and discovered that Singer has apparently decided to sacrified quality for quick bucks.  I've also seen a couple of listings on Craigslit for the same machine I had, with the same problems.  We have another machine, Nana gave it to me a few years back and it is a good machine.  It's fairly fancy, and I did use it but I wanted a simple one for times when I just wanted to sew something easy so that was why I bought the 2nd one.  We still have the one from Nana and we'll continue to use it when we need to.  I don't sew a whole lot, but Otter does sometimes.

I have made de-stashing progess!  If you were to look at my yarn stash, you probably couldn't really tell.  But I can.  I've used two or three small balls of yarn up.  It's not a lot of progress, but it is progress.

All for now, I'm about to go make chocolate ice cream!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Chocolate ice cream sounds good. WE(child 3 really is the one) are making brownies. I have a sewing machine if you want it. I agree that it is not fair that Otter gets a vacation. Froggy