Tuesday, July 31, 2012

We Broke a Record Today

110 degrees officially!

(I didn't say it was a good record, just a record).

Tomorrow could be even hotter.

We practically have to drag/toss the dogs outside, they would prefer to stay inside and I don't blame them.

The Tulsa area is on voluntary water restriction.  Well, they say it's voluntary.  But I don't think it is.  Our area is on voluntary, but it was a request and not an "order."  We don't use a lot of water, we don't have a garden or anything.  But we'll still be careful over the next few days.  No hour long showers, Otter!  :)

Sad news today.  My favorite author died.  Her name was Maeve Binchy and she was probably the best author I've ever found.  She was Irish and most of her books took place in Ireland with some in London.  I have most of her books, there are still a few that I'm on the lookout for.  But I've been collecting them for a while.  I read a comment that someone left on a news article, they said that it was like losing a best friend.  That's the kind of author she was, warm & friendly and her passing will leave a huge hole in the literary world.  A couple of years ago, she released a book and said that it was her last book and that she was retiring.  Well, there was one more book after that one.  I read it as soon as it came out, and my feeling at the time was that it probably was intended to be her last book, not the one she announced as "last" but the next one.  Many of her early books were stand-alone stories, but the last several were interconnected and this one tied all the story lines up.  I think she probably intended for "Minding Frankie" to be her final book, and it was a very good one.  It capped off everything very neatly.  But it's still, as the other person said, like losing a best friend.  I actually started re-reading one of her books last weekend, but that's not really an uncommon thing.  Her books are the kind that you want to keep reading and re-reading and wish that they would never end.

Otter's dental appointment was scheduled for tomorrow.  But they had to cancel.  Their air conditioner went out and all their afternoon appointments are being cancelled for the rest of the week.  They have morning appointments, but they were already full and they weren't sure if they were going to be able to keep those appointments or not.  We'll reschedule, after Otter's trip.
Otter's just about ready for her trip.  She's going to finish up her packing tomorrow.  I take her to the airport early on Friday morning.  Then I think I'll go wander around Wallyworld or something, since I don't want to go to work at 7:00!  Oklahoma's sales-tax free holiday is Friday through Sunday, so I'm thinking that I'll probably do what little shopping I need to do then.  Bill needs jeans and we all need socks, but that's about it this year.

Unfortunately, yarn is not on the no-tax list.  Which might not actually be a bad thing, considering the size of my stash!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I requested the last book by her. It is in and I will pick it up today
Froggy

Otter Mom said...

The first time I read it, I wasn't sure if I liked it or not. But then I read it again a few months later and I really enjoyed it.