Thursday, July 26, 2012

Miscellaneous Thursday

With a little This & That Thursday thrown in for good measure.

My day started with discovering that the air conditioner in the office wasn't working.  It was a tad big on the warm side in the office.  It took a couple of hours, but the guy got out there to fix it and it turned out that it had a freon leak.

Then, we discovered that the office mailbox had a problem.  Somebody tried to break into it overnight.  We have this kind of mailbox:


The top flap opens up and there is a flat space where you can put outgoing mail.  We don't use it for outgoing mail, the theft of my mail a few years ago was the 2nd or possibly 3rd time that our mail had been stolen although we didn't realize it at the time.  I take everything to the post office.  The bottom flap is a locking door - as the mail is put in the box, it has to go through a sloping slot so it falls into a secure area that can not be opened up without a key.  Younger boss noticed that it looked funny, so he looked at it closer.  Someone tried to pry the bottom flap open, maybe with a crowbar.  There are 3 or 4 other mailboxes like ours on the street.  Two of them are on property that younger boss owned or still owns, as rental property.  One of the other ones is on the next door neighbor (a residence) but he put his up because of the mail thefts.  All of them had obvious attempts made on them, but none of them were sucessful.  In all probability, none of them had anything in them anyway.  But because they are locking, apparently the low-lifes thought that there must be something valuable inside.  Which they could have figured out, because you can see inside them to where the incoming mail would land.  It just can't be reached without opening the locking flap.

Obviously, they were from the shallowest end of the gene pool!

Here's the This & That Thursday part I mentioned earlier:
We haven't done it yet, but we are going to send a letter of support to Chick-Fil-A.  In all probability, I'll post it here.  But I have to check with Willeboy about that first.  About posting it, not about sending it.

I had a Pasta Accident last night.  We had chili for dinner - it was brutally hot, so we did what TEXANS are known for:  had an extremely spicy hot meal!  It's a local thing, but chili is actually pretty good on top of pasta.  I was going to make extra so that Otter would have some, since she wasn't home when I was cooking.  I had my dutch oven (large saucepan) full of water and starting to boil, so I tossed in a few handfuls of assorted pasta.  Then I decided I needed to add a little more.  I keep things like pasta, rice, flour, sugar, etc. in impossibly large plastic container with a handle and a lid that has a pour spout.  I decided to just pour a little more pasta into the pan.  And that's when the lid came off and almost all the nearly full container emptied out!  Fortunately, most of it actually went into the dutch oven.  Some of it was on the counter, a little bit on the floor (but not for long, there was a beagle in the kitchen almost before it actually hit the floor) and some of it was on the stove.  Bill has a very large stockpot that I use for beans and large amounts of chicken soup, it's stored out in the garage since it's h.u.g.e. and won't fit in the kitchen anywhere.  I ran out there and got it, Bill got the water running in the sink until it got hot and we filled up the large pot about 1/2 way.  Then we put it on the stove and turned the flame up to high.  When it started to think about boiling, we poured everything out of the dutch oven and cooked it in the large pot.  We had a lot of pasta last night, and there are now two big-beyond-huge containers of pasta in the fridge.  Otter might have had some for lunch today, I forgot to ask her.  We had it for dinner, mine was covered in spaghetti sauce and I cut up some pepperoni to put in it.  Bill had cut up lunch meat ham in his with parsely.  Otter had some, but she ate after we did so I'm not sure if hers had anything on it besides olive oil and parsely.  And we still have plenty left!  I'm probably going to freeze some of it.  It will be a little mushy, but it will still be edible.  And eaten!

I went to the grocery store toinght, and among other things I bought 4 good sized bags of dry pasta to refill the container.  It's still not as full as it was last night pre-mess, so I'm thinking that we actually made 5 or 6 bags worth of pasta.  Because we like variety, we usually use several different types at once.

Well, I guess it's a good thing that we like it so much.

Froggy, I started on a clothes hanger cover last night.  I'm going to make about 10 and send them to you, then I'm going to make a bunch for us.  They are easy and quick, and they will use up the stray yarn that I have no other use for.  I have a lot of that.  I'm not sure if I'm going to get back to it tonight or not, my arms are kind of sore.  I literally filled up the trunk of my car with groceries.  Bill carried a lot of them in for me, but I still had my share of heavy bags to deal with.

Tomorrow's Friday!  Yipee!

No comments: