Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Lucky Days and Elves?

I'm having a Derpy day, which Otter will appreciate!  So, this is appropriate:


It's been one of those days all over the place!

Anyway.  It's 12/12/12.  Didn't even occur to me until I heard it on the news this morning.  I guess some people consider it to be a lucky day, there were a lot of weddings and so forth planned for today according to the paper and tv news.  However, since there really is no such thing as luck (or accidents, either), I don't really see why it would be a day that people would want to get married on specifically.  Other than the fact that it would be easy to remember, but I don't think that's what people seem to be thinking.  Just my 2 cents!

I've been seeing a lot of things on blogs about the Elf on the Shelf book.  I finally read something tonight so now I know what it is about.  The elf is supposed to be watching the kids and reporting back to Santa about the kids and how they behave.  Can we say CREEPY?  It's something that I'm very happy Otter is too old for.  We never had a problem with Santa being part of the Christmas celebrations, he wasn't the main focus - there is only one real Reason, after all.  But the Elf on the Shelf is still something that I think is a little odd to say the least.

Two days and one week left of work for the year.  I've already started reminding the Boys, as I call the Teenager and his son, that I'm going to be gone for a week and a half.  And they've already started talking like it's the End of the World if I take vacation.  I don't listen to them, I'm used to it by now.  They'll be fine, I'm always caught up (mostly) and this will be no exception.  I won't be surprised if I hear from them on my time off.  But I'm not going to give in to the whining I fully expect to hear!  :)

I don't remember if I posted that we ordered new flaps for the dog doors.  They are a thick vinyl with a magnetic strip at the bottom.  The bottom of the opening of the plastic frame has a metal strip and the magnet will pull the vinyl back so that it's sort-of closed.  One of the two we've had forever was beginning to come apart - the vinyl part, and the Cone of Shame that Frasier wore was just too much for it.  I ordered new flaps, the other one was beginning to tear at the top as well, and it was an interesting experience.  I ordered them on Sunday Dec. 2, then got an email from the company that my order was in the process of being shipped.  UPS emailed that a label had been created, but they also didn't get the item for over a week.  Usually, when a UPS label is created the place will get it to UPS right away - or at least not over a week later.  It was finally picked up and supposed to be here tonight.  It showed up yesterday, but they only sent me one instead of the two I'd ordered.  We checked order status online and they are not very organized - also, their receipt didn't make sense.  I called them today - twice, and left messages.  They eventually called me back and apologized.  They are sending me another one.  Today, they said.  But we'll see how long it actually takes to get to UPS and then to get here.  Bill replaced the better of the two - the one from the garage into the kitchen - tonight and he'll replace the torn one as soon as the other flap is delivered.

Otter has been dropping heavy hints about wanting Monkey bread again soon.  We don't have it too often, it's not exactly a healthy meal.  But it is good.  I decided to indulge her and I baked one up tonight.  It's going to be breakfast the next few days, it will warm up fine in the microwave.  I've posted the recipe on the cooking blog already, I think it was one of the earlier ones.  Go look it up, it's really good.

No comments: