Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Tuesday Tails

Yes, I said "tails" and not "tales". It's been a Maggie afternoon, since we got home all the dog wants to do is dance! Took us forever to teach her, now that she's learned a new trick she thinks she should show it off every second. So I've spent a lot of time holding the dog's front paws while she dances. She really is cute, and would give the Energizer Bunny a run for the money.

This won't mean much to anyone besides Otter and me, but the Fenton Glass Company is closing their doors. They have been in business over 100 years and are the premier art glass company. No one else even comes close to the perfection & artistry in the glass items they produce. But thanks to the "walmart syndrome" of things being cheap (and cheaply made as well), they can not compete and they are shutting down. It's not just WalMart-type operations, they state the main reason is things like cheap China imports. Well, when it comes to art glass - YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR! There is a local dealer that I frequent, it's a small shop and is the owner's dream of a lifetime. I was in there today and she said that she's heartbroken, she is ordering everything she can from the company and hopes to make it until April when her lease is up. She is going to see about becoming a dealer for a couple of other glass houses, but Fenton is her passion and she says it just won't be the same for her. I hope she is sucessful. While I was there, I bought the piece I'd been lusting after for weeks - it's a green Christmas tree with opalescent "glitter" on the ends of the boughs and it is just lovely. It has joined my other Fenton pieces in the china cabinet, and is also accompanied by Otter's Fenton pieces. I told Otter I'd get her one more really good piece, that even though she will get it early it will be part of her Christmas. She's thinking, but I think she's narrowed it down to one of three pieces: a midnight black pony with moon & stars painted on the side; another butterfly (topaz glass, she already has a vaseline glass one); or a kitty painted for Halloween as a vampire (is she her mother's daughter, or what?!). http://www.fentonartglass.com/ is the website for the Fenton company.

Funny story, while I was buying my Fenton tree there was a 20-something year old guy that came in. He immediately picked up a pretty good size pink & white glass basket and said his girlfriend wanted it, so he had to buy it for her. He was very earnest. The owner & I looked at each other, smiled and said to the boy at the same time "Good boy!".

Bill checked on the floor today at the rent house, he said it looks very good. I'm not sure when it will be finished, but not too many days from now. Wish we'd had it done when we lived there! I'll be glad when we are finished, and don't have to go over there every day. Or even every other day like lately.

No comments: