Thursday, August 02, 2007

Chupacabras in South TEXAS?

There is a woman in South TEXAS that claims she has a chupa carcas. It's hairless & ugly. Also very dead and she froze the head. Apparently, iut was hit by a car and brought to her by the driver. Look it up on the San Antonio paper website, mysanantonio.com and follow thie links to the video.

Only problem is that a) the last time somebody said they had a dead chupacabra it was a coyote with severe mange and b) the vet that saw this one said it's a fox with mange. However, the lady is insisting that she's got a chupacabra and that she's going to have the head mounted and put it on her wall. Really gross, if you ask me. My opinion is that the original legend was probably because somebody saw a mangy coyote. But who knows, maybe I'm wrong and there really are chupas. And the Lock Ness Monster and Bigfoot might be reall too! (Don't think so!)

For the non-TEXAN readers, a chupacabra is a legendary animal known in English as the Goat Sucker. It is supposed to be a blood sucking animal (coyotes have been known to do this), about the size of a coyote, the shape of a coyote and it has similar habits to a coyote. Notice the coyote similarities here?

I forgot about something else that was in the goodie box from Shara. A cookbook from the White River Band Northern Cherokee Nation. It has some really yummy sounding recipes and I'm going to be trying some of them soon.

That reminds me. I promised Froggy the recipe for Monkey Bread. It's really good and very easy. Here goes:

2 cans biscuits, any variety (small biscuits work best)
1 1/2 cups melted butter (I use the low fat butter substitute)
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped nuts (I use pecans or walnuts) This is optional, you can skip the nuts if you don't like them
White sugar and additional cinnamon to toss the biscuits in

Cut the biscuits into small pieces, at least 4 piece per biscuit. I usually cut mine up into about 6 pieces each. Toss the pieces in the white sugar/cinnamon mix until they are coated. Place biscuits in a greased pan (I use an olive oil based non-stick spray - it doesn't take much). Combine the melted butter, brown sugar and cinnanom - I melt the butter in a sauce pan and then add the sugar & cinnamon, then stir it over low to medium heat unti is mixed well and smoother. Then add the chopped nuts. Pour over the biscuit pieces. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes - the time may need to be adjusted up or down depending on your oven. The important thing is to get the biscuits baked because half-cooked biscuits are gross! The recipe can be doubled. For the regular recipe I use a square baking pan and if I double it, I use a 9 x 13 x 2 baking dish. The original recipe called for a bundt-style cake pan to bake it in and then inverting over a plate to serve. I suggest you just use a baking dish, otherwise you will have a big, sticky mess on your hands. And the floor! The brown sugar mixture makes a syrup and it is very good. However, if you use real butter forget about watching your fat intake. Even with the low-fat substitute, it's probably not the most healthy meal so we don't make it too often. It's been suggested to me that we top it with whipped cream, which would probably be delicious. But I haven't tried that.

No comments: