Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Tuesday. Very HOT today.

Froggy, if you have a suggestion for a better title, please feel free to let me know!

Bill went back to work yesterday. He turned in his light work excuse and then he realized that it said he was to go back to FULL DUTY WITH NO RESTRICTIONS today. Which is not what the doctor told him! So I called the hospital last night, they told me to call back this morning. So I called them first thing today and they faxed me a new excuse with the correct information on it. The day we were there, it took 3 tries for the clerk to get the dates right on the excuse - she kept trying to say it was for July and not August, and we didn't check beyond the dates when she finally brought it to us. I wish we had, because Bill's boss immediately insisted that he had to do his regular job today and Bill has been on his feet all day long. He's taking the correct excuses in tomorrow, and he expects his boss to be unhappy. Tough! He is on restricted duty until the 21st. He is supposed to use the crutches, but he actually does better without them.

We have been going to the rent house after work yesterday and today, and pulling carpet nails. They are actually staples, just very long and difficult to get up. We're nearly finished with that part of the job. Since the work starts on Monday, we have to get them all up as soon as possible. There are some that we simply can not get up, but we will have gotten most of them removed. Then there are still a few things, but they will wait until after the floor refinishing is done. Things like hanging a mini blind, hanging the vertical blinds, curtains on the french doors and carpeting the master bedroom. Then it's just cleaning! Our agent will start the ads running in the paper the weekend of the 25th. So keep your fingers crossed that she gets it rented fast! It's not fun having to make two mortgage payments.

Tomorrow is another Ozone Alert Day. Third one in a row. We've exceeded allowable standards the last two days, I'm not sure how many more chances we have before we go on the EPA's dirty air list. When that happens, gasoline will probably go up because we'll have to have a special additive. I'm not sure what the other consequences are. One of the things is not to mow on those days, that one is no problem. We don't fill up the cars on Ozone Days unless we absolutely have to. Carpooling is not an option for us, nor is riding the bus. And forget not using the a/c in the car! We have a medical reason for having to use it (asthma), so I don't feel guilty about that one.

Three frogs in the dog's outside water dish yesterday. I brought the dish in to scrub it. But first, I had to convince three small hoppers that they really did want to move. This morning, there were three more but they were big, fat frogs. I just added more water to the dish, they moved but they didn't have to. Frasier was drinking water around them, which surprised me as I thought that surely he would eat them! Maybe he's had an encounter with one in the past and knows that they are not really eatable. I'm surprised we still have as many as we do, as hot and dry as it's been. They seem to haunt the dog's water dish. I have a small frog house by the dish, but I don't know if they use it or not. We have bricks in the water dish so that the frogs can get out when they want to and not drown.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen any frogs since I saw the rattlesnake. Hopefully they weren't snake dinner. Scott mowed the back yard Sat. I went out and helped some. Everywhere I stepped there were many tiny tiny grasshoppers. IF they all grow up we are going to be overrun.
I don't think there is any other title than HOT. Froggy

Otter Mom said...

Last time I had snakes in the yard, I didn't have any frogs. I think the snakes ate them. No snakes this year, but lots of frogs. Also lots of turtles!