Thursday, May 08, 2008

In Case We Forget That We Live in Oklahoma

we got reminded last night. Specifically, that we live in the part of Oklahoma frequently referred to as Tornado Alley. Otter went with her best friend to the friend's church youth event so she wasn't home for the excitement. But she had plenty of her own!

I think it was around 7:15 or so, we were watching a satelitte tv station so we weren't aware of a weather warning. Until we heard what we at first thought was a sound effect on the tv. Then we realized that it was "the" siren. Trust me, that is a sound you don't ever want to hear! We turned the tv to a local station and then realized that we were right in the firing line of a storm that had previously been tornadic and was still rotating. And moving quickly. We thought it was going to go south of us, then we realized that it was coming FROM the south towards us. Which is unusual, that type of storm generally comes from the west. We're watching the tv reports, then Bill heads down the hall to the bedroom tv to see what another channel had. At that point, I look out the back door and realize that I can see the area that the news bulletins are about. So I go find Bill and he points something out to me that I'd missed entirely! And it was about to sprout, it was very low (almost looked like I could have reached it from the back yard), and it was definetely rotating. It went right over the house, but it was still terrifying and much, much too close for comfort! That's when we went to the laundry room, which is our safe spot in the house.

Within just a few minutes of that fun event, I get a frantic call from Otter. Everyone had been moved inside the church when the sirens sounded and they were all in an inside, windowless room. Some of the adults were upstairs to where the only tv was, so they knew at least that it was heading their direction. I told her to stay put, do what she was told and pay attention - which she was already doing. I also told her to keep in touch with me and keep me posted, I think she called me 3 or 4 times and I called her at one point when we realized that it was almost on top of them. But it passed over them safely, then her friend's parents brought her back home. I don't think I have ever seen her so glad to get home. She's a pretty brave girl, but this one was potentially very serious and I was as terrified as she was I think.

When we watched the news at 10:00, we saw a report that turned out to be a small tornado - after it passed over us but before it got to where Otter and her friend were. Not a comforting thought! There was a little bit of property damage, but nobody was actually hurt.

Yes, Froggy - I can hear Dad's voice so clearly. I know exactly what he would be telling me. To get my behind back to Texas, where I belong! Then he would tell me that he grew up in this area so he knew what he was talking about, and that I should listen to him and come home. I got that lecture from him several times after we moved up here. Always during the spring. And he always meant it from the heart. And I would dearly love to be able to hear him lecture me again.

Ok, back to the regularly scheduled blog posting!

Mother's Day is Sunday. I got my gift from Bill today. He's a smart man, he knew I'd want Fenton and he knew that he'd better ask me to get my own gift this time. Which is not because he just didn't want to go shopping, but because he knew he couldn't keep straight which one I wanted once he got there! So I said I didn't mind, and I went to the Fenton store at lunch today. I went in with one of two pieces in mind, one is a candle holder and one is a vase. So what did I come out with? A blue elephant! Which is another good reason that Bill didn't try to get my gift this year - he knew I'd change my mind once I got in there! Smart man.

I promised Otter I'd go for a bike ride with her, so I'd better get this posted now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I will take Dad's place and tell you TO GET BACK TO TEXAS WHERE YOU BELONG!!!!!!

Froggy