Friday, February 26, 2010

So Glad This Week is Over!

It's been a wild one, this week. And I have the war wounds to prove it.

Of course, my war wounds are all visible. And on my face. Courtesy of a stray cat! (Relax, nothing serious).

Yesterday started out ok, whoever is first in to the office (usually me) feeds Miss Whiskers - aka the Office Cat. Yesterday, Miss Whiskers had a friend. There was a grey, striped cat with her and it came right up to me and meowed. Loudly, but not threateningly. I think it was just very hungry. I had a handful of cat food in one hand and was holding the food bag in the other hand. I reached down to get the water dish we leave out there and I think the grey cat thought I was either going to grab or hit it. Because it jumped up and caught the right side of my face near my ear with one paw (Froggy, I think I told you it was my left side but it was my "other left" as Toadles says) and possibly the left side of my face about mid-cheek with the other paw. And the teeth? Well, they landed just above my right eyebrow. The cat let go as quickly as it struck and it just moved over out of the way - and started eating the food I'd spilled. Which is when I did something I NEVER EVER do - I tried to kick it. Actually, I was trying to chase it off as opposed to kicking it but I was also trying to keep blood out of my eye so I could see. I went back inside at that point, and the younger boss was just coming in the door. I felt kind of sorry for him actually - I think I terrified him! He immediatly dragged me off into the bathroom and started wiping blood off my face. Being a redhead, there was a LOT of blood. We got it stopped, mostly - the spot over my eyebrow bled for quite a while but it wasn't gushing anymore. Then he went after me with peroxide. Then he went out and chased the cat off - although it kept coming back for a while. (And then he "motherhenned" me all day long.)

Knowing Bill as well as I do, I called him to let him know - and was promptly told to call animal control, go strangle the cat, go to the doctor, go shoot the cat, etc. I called the doctor and they agreed with me - the cuts aren't deep so no stitches are needed and since the cat was not acting aggresive, rabies is probably not a concern. I just have to keep the places clean and watch for signs of infection. Then I actually saw Bill at lunch so I could get the inspection I knew was coming and another lecture. Which I expected, by the way!
Most of the spots are just scratches, the deepest is the possible bite mark over my eyebrow and it's not really deep. But it is sore, I didn't realize just how much I move my eyebrows in a day until yesterday. Now, it's mostly just sore to the touch and barely bruised.
Miss Whiskers was waiting patiently this morning, all by her feline self. So I fed her and she had to have her petting - cat likes belly rubs, too. But her friend did not show "his" face today. Which is a good thing, because I would have taken the broom to him.
And what was Otter's comment? If I turn into a werecat, she wants to be the first one I bite. Although I think that would probably be Bill and then Frasier - just because they both hate cats!
On to other things. I have avoided crocheting this week and it's not easy! My skin was better but it's kind of acting up today. I did crochet some last night (with the latex glove) and will probably spend several hours tomorrow with a hook in one hand and a yarn ball in the other. My neck & shoulder tightness has just about gone away, but it's an occupational hazard with crochet.
Bill's been playing with his toys in the garage. In other words, he's had access to power tools. But no injuries yet! (I think I've already covered the week's worth of bleeding).
Otter has had an eventful week herself. As in problems at school, with 2 boys who tried very hard to get her into trouble with the teacher. Except that their version of getting her into trouble was to compose a letter like it was from her - saying that she "likes" the teacher and wants to meet her outside of school. They got a serious helping of Redhead Texas Woman and were very surprised at it. (Well, she is her mother's daughter after all!). Then, Otter informed the teacher and this time the teacher actually supported her. I understand that one of the boy's parents had a nice telephone call from the teacher - nice being another word for as_-whupin! This is not the first time one of the boys has tried this, just the first time with Otter. And I would imagine, the last time he tries anything with her. The principal followed up with Otter and she made her complaint official and in writing. She also thanked the teacher(s - there were actually two) for standing up for her. One of the two heathens has been a problem for Otter for a while in class. I guess he didn't feel like he got enough of her attention. Needless to say, he now probably thinks he got too much of her attention! Well, if you play with fire you will get burned. The firey temper attributed to redheads is not just one of those stereotypical stories, incidentally - it's there and it can be incandescently hot.
It's a powerful weapon, being a redhead. Not just anyone can handle it. But we can. And Otter handles it supremely. Good girl.

No comments: