Sunday, February 07, 2010

Sunday Relish

Mine is dill. Sweet pickles are disgusting!

Hello, my name is Ottermom. And I am a yarn addict. I admit it.
I have been cleaning out my stash, I had several small amounts of yarn which I've been adding to the blanket I'm making for Bill. I even donated a few small ones, and managed to get my supply down quite a bit. But then I looked at the Michael's add in the paper this morning. And they have yarn on sale. Guess where Otter wanted to go today? Michael's! It was my undoing. I bought 8 skeins. Six were clearance and two were sale priced. I still have two bamboo skeins I got a couple of weeks back, the skein I got at Hobby Lobby before the last ice storm and 4 I got at Salvation Army last week.

It's a sickness, I know. But I don't want to be cured!

But I will say in my own defense that all the yarn I bought since (and including) the bamboo is unusual and not plain or standard yarn. The yarn I got at Salvation Army is all yarn that I wanted to try but refused to pay the exhorbitant price for, however for 99 cents each they were practically free. Today's yarn includes two "wool" that I'm hoping I can use. It's not sheep wool, which I am allergic to. It's alpaca wool (like llamas) and I'm hopeful. I carried it around the store for a long time and my skin didn't seem to react. It was the sale priced yarn I got today.

Of course, my skin has been acting up the last couple of days so I'm not sure when I'm actually going to get to use any of it! But I will not use the alpaca yarn until my skin is good, since allergies are a very real issue for me.
Bill didn't say anything, he just looked at the huge bag of yarn I was emptying into my picnic basket and shook his head. But then I reminded him of the thread he started on the pachinko machine forum he's on - the one about how he's addicted to pachinkos!
The picnic basket has some structural issues, Bill looked at it and decided he couldn't fix it. So I moved my stash into a yaffa crate. Yaffa crates are similar to plastic milk crates but bigger. The good yarn is in the picnic basket, the everyday stuff including the acrylic and cheap quality stuff is in the yaffa crate. And then I have the large tote bag with my work in progress stuff, also known as UFO's.
Bill's still sick. Or maybe, he's sick again. I'm not sure. He was over most of the symptoms and seemed to be feeling pretty good yesterday. Then last night, he started getting fever again. He had the shakes, which he usually only gets when he gets high temperatures but he didn't have a high one. He did have a sinus headache and lots of pressure. The only thing we had was benadryl, so he took that and it helped him a little bit. Then as soon as I got up this morning, I went to Wallyworld and got him something that worked for his symptoms. There are so many different choices, it took me a good 15 minutes to read all the labels and find one for him! It's one of the sudafeds. He is better but not feeling the best. He finally admitted that he might need to see the doctor. Mostly because he's at the point where he'll need an excuse for work, I think that's the only reason but I'm not going to complain! I'm not sure if he's still got the same thing or something else that happened to hit as he was recovering. Froggy said that she's heard of several people who have been sick and seemed to get better before getting sinus symptoms. At any rate, I fully expect to have to haul him to the doctor tomorrow.
Otter and I went to the library today, we didn't leave Billyboy by himself too long but we did get out for a bit. We both have huge stacks of books to read, we turned in two paper grocery bags full of books we finished and still had some from the last time we were there. Now, we have more! Which is fine with me, books are kind of like yarn - addictive.
We might get more snow tonight and/or tomorrow. Ice is not expected, so it won't be quite so bad as the last time. Snow is a lot easier to deal with. Especially driving in it. But it's still not fun if I have to be on the road.
OK, I've goofed off enough. I told Otter I would help her clean the hamster cages, so I think I'll head in the general direction of her room now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We may have sleet on Wednesday and Thursday. I will have plenty of reading and quilting to keep me busy.
Tell Bill to get well fast.
What plans do you have for the new yarns? Froggy

Otter Mom said...

I don't know what I'm going to do with the new yarn. I'm sure I'll figure something out. And it will be fun.