Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Tuesday Stuff

First of all: Bill does have a sinus infection. He started out feeling pretty good Monday morning, got ready for work and had breakfast. Then about 5 minutes before he would have been leaving for work on a normal day, he started to feel bad again and got warm fast. I took his temperature, it was just over 100. And I know he was feeling cruddy, because he asked me to take him to the doctor. Which never happens unless he is feeling BAD. I tossed Otter in the car and ran her to school (when it's as cold as it was yesterday, I don't like her to wait at the bus stop. Super cold air equals lungs that don't work), then called in myself. When I got home, it was close to 8:00 and that is when the doctor's office opens. I called as soon as they opened, they said that our doctor (she's part of a clinic) had a 10:00 opening and to bring him in then. It was sleeting when I took Otter, but then it started snowing about 8:30. By 9:00, it was snowing heavily and we were concerned about the roads so we went to the doctor early.

We got there about 9:15, and she saw Bill right then. It is not the flu, but it is a sinus infection. In all probability, he had a bug and then got over it (or started to) and then the sinus infection hit after that. She gave him a prescription for an antibiotic, and told him to take mucinex (sp?), as well as either tylenol or advil for the headache. So I brought him back home, went to the store to get his stuff and while I was there I also got chicken soup supplies. Which is what he had for lunch! He was grouchy, which is probably to be expected because he felt so bad. He's not a good patient anyway. The doctor told him to stay home today, he is supposed to go in tomorrow but I'm not sure if he will. He is not feeling too good this afternoon, but it might be the side effects of the mucinex.

Incidentally, the snow came down pretty heavily and didn't let up until mid-afternoon. And then it all melted! There were a few issues with ice on the roads this morning, but they weren't a problem for me.

What was a problem, however, was the fact that I couldn't get the rear passenger door shut on my car. Of course, I didn't discover this until a) I'd already warmed the car up and b) the bus had already gone by (I was taking Otter to school this morning). So I transferred all my stuff and Otter to Bill's impala, which then needed about 15 minutes to warm up. Most of that time was scraping ice off. Bill checked on my car after I left for work, he thought it was ice that had formed in the latch and he moved it back in the driveway so it would get sun. It did the trick, I came home at lunch to check on him and the door was shutting then. But it was still frustrating!

I'm not a big fan of McDonald's. I was so glad when Otter outgrew the McDonald's stage! However, I picked up McD's for dinner today. It's their annual fundraiser for the Ronald McDonald House, and it might just be a Tulsa area thing. Anyway, 59 cent hamburgers and 69 cent cheeseburgers. Can you guess what we had for dinner? This is the only time I'll willingly eat McD's, and it's usually the only time per year. But it's worth it, it's a really good cause.

Otter is taking night school. Well, that's what it's called but it's actually afternoon school! She still had one credit to make up, which we knew last summer, but the class wasn't available until now. Or next summer, but she wants to get a job in the summer and we didn't want to wait for her to get this class. In high school, there is a requirement of 2 years of a foreign language or a tech class. She took Spanish 1 in 9th grade and Spanish 2 in 10th grade. Towards the end of 10th grade - when it was too late to do anything about it - we found out that her grades in Spanish 1 (9th grade) were not high enough to allow her to a) get credit and b) advance to Spanish 2. She did the work, she just had a lot of problems with the language - what makes me mad is that the counsellor knew it but didn't bother to tell us. We had to find it out on our own. There was a teacher change in the middle of the year, the first teacher was gone more than he was there and the temps didn't do much teaching - and a lot of confusion. I looked at some of the study materials and it would be a miracle if anybody at all was able to speak any Spanish after that class. There were a lot of other issues we had with the 9th & 10th grade school, most of which have been mentioned on here at various times. So we probably should not have been surprised at this, but we were.
We had a talk and she decided that she'd rather switch to the Tech classes even though it would mean that she would have to take 2 years before she was finished with that requirement. So we switched her to Spanish 1 so she could at least earn partial credit and then she switched to Tech at 10th grade. She was still left with a partial credit and needed to finish. So, I talked to the counsellor (11th grade and 12th grade are at a different school, different counsellor) and she made absolutely sure that Otter was only short this one partial credit. We were not willing to pay for night school for 1 semester of Spanish 1, not would we have been willing to pay for any other language class. But since it isn't offered at night or summer school anyway, the counsellor said that she could take a science class. It might be the same science class she had last year, but it will count towards the required credits to graduate. So, we enrolled her and the first class is this afternoon. Tuesdays & Thursdays, 4:00 to 5:50 p.m. and the same school as last year. So she gets on the bus after school, the first stop her bus makes is the previous year's school anyway, Otter gets off the bus and goes to her class. Then I'll go pick her up. Class goes for the rest of the year.

I think I'm taking the dogsters with me, they would probably enjoy it. Maggie Moo has been looking out the window repeatedly, and she's moping. I think she misses her kid!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of the quilting/sewing stores here in town is participating in a national donation to the Ronald McDonald houses. The goal is to make pillowcases for children so that each one has their own special pillowcase. I am going to start sewing them this week or next week. It can be material you have or you can buy material or kits. I have enough material that will work for kids to make many pillowcases
IF you are interested I will find the name of the organization and maybe you or otter will want to do this. Froggy

Otter Mom said...

I will mention it to Otter. We've always supported to Rondald McDonald House, even when I had a Girl Scout troop and we raised money for them.