Thursday, February 18, 2010

Words The Next Generation

(Yes, it's a Star Trek reference!)


A while back, Otter and I composed a list of words & phrases that we were not fond of. This is the continuation. It's probably not the final chapter, there may be more in the future.

Here goes:

**Means that it might have been on the first list

Carbon footprint**
Faux (it's FAKE, people!)
Tween

__________ American (either you are an American or you aren't. It's not a crime to have a cultural heritage, but I'm not Irish American - I'm AMERICAN with Irish ancestry. Native American is a different story, but the emphasis needs to be on the American part - yes, I realize that I am Cherokee.)

Recession
Bail Out
Friend/Unfriend (this one is really dumb)

Outside the Box
Comfort Zone
Greenhouse Gasses**
Literally (Sweetie's suggestion)

Otter's mini rant:

When you say a TXTSPK (Text-speak) prase in english (ie 'lol' as 'loll' and 'OMG' as 'Ohemgee') is the most annoying thing ever invented! It is also a horrid butchering of the first true language of the internet-1337 (or leet, l33t) For an example of true 1337- http://www.jessture.com/images/various/mtokyo_0009-420px.jpg is the comic that made it known.
--End mini-rant--

Good words, that we like:

Happy Place

Here are a few words/phrases that I call Craisglist words. Some of them are actually from eBay. They are more of a mistake in spelling than an actual word that bugs me, but they do bother me!
Chested Drawers (Bill would make a boob joke here)
Chester Drawers (I always want to ask if Chester knows that they are selling his drawers!)
Punkin (Think large, round, orange gourd)
Sequence (Sequins!)
Shaw (Shawl)

Anybody got any suggestions? Email me with them, and we'll consider them for the next word list.

No comments: