Monday, February 01, 2010

January Books

OK, even though it's February 1st, this is my January book list.

1. Loose Cannons, 101 Myths, Mishaps & Misadventures of Military History by Grame Donald. Don't bother with this one, it's a complete waste of time. Badly written, badly researched and I didn't get too far into it.

2. Complete Leatherwork, Easy Techniques & Over 20 Great Projects by Katherin Pogson. Interesting, maybe someting I can use. Bill bought me a leatherwork kit a few years back but I don't have the upper arm strength for most of the required actions. I still have hopes that I'll be able to use it one day.

3. Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs. I know I mentioned this series in my December list, Froggy I think I asked you if you'd heard of it. At the time, I had the 2nd book in the series but was waiting until I got the first one - this one. Well, after I read this one I have one thing to say: I will NOT be spending my Friday nights with this! Or any other nights, for that matter. Just badly written, extremely predictible and frankly it was awful. I'm not going to read anything else by her, either.

4. Batman
5. Batman

6. What Would Dewey Do? By Bill Barnes & Gene Ambaum. Recommended by Otter, it's a comic strip called Unshelved but it's been put into book form. Really cute, it is about a library.

7. Batman
8. Batman

9. Biography (forget the name!) of Bill Waterston, the creator of the fantastic comic strip Calvin & Hobbes. The book was an prime example of "badly done" and I think I'll leave it at that.

10. Star Trek: Countdown. This is a graphic novel that is the prequel to last summer's movie.

11. Spinning Forward by Terri Dulong. Well, it had a little bit about yarn in it. But not much! It was very much what I would consider a romance novel and we all know my low opinion of romance novels. I forced myself to finish it, in the hopes it would improve. But it didn't. So I probably will skip other books by this author.

12. Ask the Animals, a Pets Eye View of Animals and the People They Love by Bruce R. Coston. I can't remember much about this one, but it seems like it was funny.

13. Simple Crochet by Erika Knight. Rerun, but I was looking for a specific pattern. Which wasn't in this book, so I'll keep looking.

14. Forbidden by Judy Waite. Otter recommended this one. It was very good, it is about a girl who is caught in the grips of a cult. This one makes you think. It was a little predictible, but it was a good read.

15. Yarn Bombing, the Art of Crochet & Knit Grafitti by Mandy Moore and Leann Prain. Interesting subject, probably not something I'm going to participate in but it was still fun.

16. Street Gang: The Complete History of Sesame Street by Michael Davis. Interesting, but then anything about Kermit & Company will be fun!

17. Batman

18. Echoes in the Darkness by Joseph Wambaugh. This is a true-crime murder mystery. It's one I've read before, many years ago. But someone was discussing it on a forum I'm on and I decided to re-read it. It was still a good book, and the author is very good. But the standard I judge by for true crime is Ann Rule and nobody holds a candle to her! But I'd recommend this book.

19. Batman.

20. Here's the Story: Surviving Marcia Brady & Finding My True Voice by Maureen McCormick. At first, I thought this might be like the book by Valerie Bertinelli - confession time with a "look at me" slant. But I was wrong. It was a confessional book, but this time it's by someone who knows she made bad choices and is trying to improve and not make the same mistakes.

21. The 10th Circle by Jodi Picoult. I'll probably still read more by this author, but she's not that good. This one was not a particularly bad book, it just wasn't the best.

22. That's Not in My American History Book, a Compilation of Little Known Events and Forgotten Heroes by Thomas Ayers. I expected to be disappointed, after all the more words in the title a book has is often an indicator of a badly written book. But it turned out to be surprising good and very funny. Did you know that England still owns California?

OK, new month and new book list starts today!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like Kate Jacobs and Jodi Picout. Jodi Picouts books make you think.
Froggy.

Otter Mom said...

I'll probably still read Jodi Picout, but I don't think she's a very good author.

Anonymous said...

She has her ups and downs. Tenth Circle is not all that good, you need to read 19 Minutes and My Sister's Keeper before you can really say anything. If you dislike those, than you don't like her; however these are her best, and excellent books all around.
KN#3

Otter Mom said...

I have been trying to find My Sister's Keeper but the library always seems to be out of it. I'll eventually read it. I will probably keep reading her books, she's just not my favorite is all.

Anonymous said...

One of her bests is handle with care.
Froggy

Otter Mom said...

Handle With Care is on one of my previous lists. I forget when I read it, but I think it was last summer when you were here and we were killing time at the library. It was the better of the two I've read, but I'm still not that impressed. But I did request My Sister's Keeper so I'll get to read it. Eventually, I think there was a waiting list.