Thursday, August 12, 2010

We Survived!

The first day of 12th grade.


This is part of what Otter wore to school today.  She bought these in San Antonio when she was there a few weeks back.  Her Uncle Crazy chipped in towards them, so we sent him a picture this morning because Otter wanted him to know she wore them today.  She's been wearing them already, she likes them and they are comfortable.  Besides, they have the Batman logo and are Converse - two of Otter's favorite things, Batman and shoes!  She has a couple of other pairs of Converse, she loves the brand.

We splurged on a pizza tonight.  It's always been our tradition that on the first day or school Otter gets a special breakfast and dinner.  Her version of special breakfast is simple, today it was waffles.  Since I knew we wouldn't have a lot of time - nobody was willing to get up early enough to make waffles, I made them in advance and put them in the fridge.  The we just put them in the toaster this morning.  Dinner has been take-out most years, although the very first day of kindergarten was dinner at Luby's.  Last year, she requested buffalo burgers so it was homemade.  This year, she wanted a pizza from Little Ceasar's and I also got an order of crazy bread and sauce.  She eats cheap, anyway. :)

I ventured into a new yarn store today.  I'd already been to the first location, which I was not impressed with - they weren't friendly, and if you don't knit then they don't want to even talk to you.  So I wasn't expecting much when I went to their second store but it's a yarn store so I didn't have a choice!  I was pleasantly surprised.  Although the majority of the yarn they carry is wool like the main store, the people were very nice, very customer-oriented and crochet friendly.  I didn't buy anything (wow!), but they do carry the yarn I fell in love with in San Antonio and brought home in my tote bag on the plane.  I just barely brushed up against wool yarn with my left arm and didn't really pay attention to it at the time, beyond knowing that my arm had come into contact with something.  A little while later, I realized that my left arm was itching pretty heavily and then I realized that the yarn I'd touched lightly was in fact wool.  My allergies are on red alert at the moment, ragweed season is starting.  So I guess I'll have to be even more careful of wool right now, since I just barely touched it in the shop.

Walgreen's has a big sign out that they will have flu shots soon.  I called and talked to a pharmacist, they should start on Monday.  Last year, Walgreen's was insisting on a prescription from the doctor before they would give the shots but they've come to their senses this year and it's walk-in.  I did some checking, because the wisdom used to be that the shot immunity wouldn't last more than a few months but it's been improved - or maybe the doctors just know more about it - and by getting the shots this early we will still be protected through next summer or thereabouts.  So we might get our shots next week or the week after.  It will still be on a Friday afternoon, because I do generally have a mild reaction and not feel too good for a few hours.  But I'd really love to get it over with so that we don't have to worry about getting the shot later.  The later we wait in the year, the harder it is to get the shots because of our allergies.  The ragweed is just getting started so we're ok for a while, before we start our fall allergy games.

Bill came back here a moment ago, just to make an announcement.  Fraiser burped.  Apparently, that's big news for some strange reason.  I told him to be glad it was "just" a burp where Frasier is concerned!

I spoke with Virginia a little while ago.  She's doing pretty good, overwhelmed at the moment but that is to be expected.  She's got her hands full with the grandkids right now.  Her mother's services are Monday evening for the Rosary and then the actual funeral and burial is Tuesday.  She's just been through so much, I worry about her.

I have a crochet project I'm about to start.  I'm going to work on another prayer shawl.  Toadles - this isn't the project for Robyn that I needed her height for!  I found some absolutely georgous, soft yarn in variegated turquoise blue and chocolate brown at Michael's yesterday and I'm anxious to get started on it.  I was going to start it tonight, but I'm really tired so I'll wait until tomorrow evening or more likely Saturday.  It will go fast, the pattern I use will be the same as the other two I've made and it's quick.  It's also a fun pattern.  I'll post pictures when I get it finished.

Th-th-that's all, fffolks!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

love the shoes. Uncle Crazy was glad that she wore them to school. Froggy