Monday, June 11, 2012

Rotel Tomatos Texas Bliss!

Otter and I ventured to Wallyworld today, for groceries.  We discovered something.  Something fun.

It's no secret that we are TEXAN and it's also no secret that we have our own language.  One of our favorite words, as mentioned here many times before is Fixin.  With or without S on the end.  It's kind of our all-purpose word and very few non-TEXAN speakers get it right.  Although we did hear the radio columnist Neal Boortz use it (correctly) the other day.  He's not a TEXAN, but he did go to TEXAS A & M University and I think he's sort of an adopted TEXAN.

Anyway.  There is a point to this.

While we were in Wally, we found this:


They got it right!  The canning plant is in TEXAS, so that might have something to do with it.  But they are owned by a non-TEXAN company.  But they got it right!  Rotel is probably a TEXAS staple, there are other versions of tomatos with chilis (pepper kind of chili) but for most of us, Rotel is the one & only brand.  Although I didn't buy this particular flavor - the "Hot" one had more peppers listed in the ingredients.  But I'll probably try it.

In the meantime, they got it right!  :)

OK, now that I've gotten that out of my system (well, not really), on to other stuff.

I gave the 95-year-old-teenager his cap today.  He was very happy with it.  Then he spent the rest of the day pestering me about nonsense, so I actually got very little done.  But that's ok, he's still really cool and a lot of fun.

I think it's from the movie, Finding Nemo, but there is a catchphrase we seem to use a lot.  "Happy Place" which is used when one of the characters (starfish, I think) has to deal with an unpleasant situation and she tells herself to "find a Happy Place" so that she can think of something pleasant.  It's kind of become a family joke to talk about going to one of our Happy Places.  For example, Otter uses the expression "find a Happy Place" when Bill's teasing one of us.  Today, I realized where my Happy Place is.  It's in the closet.  The one with all the yarn!

Where is your Happy Place?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

sitting on the deck listening to the birds Froggy

Otter Mom said...

I think that might be my other Happy Place!

Alexandra said...

We use Rotel too, and it is very hot! I dilute it with diced tomatoes. It does give my meals kick, that's for sure.

Otter Mom said...

We use it in quite a bit. Spanish rice, chili of course!, chili con queso which is basically melted velveeta with rotel and not something we have often, I might even use it the next time I make my famous crock-pot soup.