Sunday, June 10, 2012

Unmotivated Sunday

Today's title courtesty of William!

He said he couldn't get motivated today, meaning he doesn't have any desire to go do anything in the garage because it's kind of on the warm side.  Also, he's been busy already - he got to climb around in the attic of the shed and find the shelf unit for Otter's room as well as a deck chair and misc. stuff.  Later, he gets to go kill another yellow jacket nest which I discovered on the front of the house earlier and it's a big one.

The shelf unit was dusty, so we took it out front and Otter hosed it off.  While I was hooking the hose up, I noticed the nest.  It won't be there long.

Anyway.  Otter's room.  She piled everything on top of her bed and ran the vacuum really good.  Then Bill carried in the shelf unit (Thanks Bill!) and she's busily putting all her stuff on it.  We washed her window curtains this morning, since the shelf will be partially blocking her window.  She's kind of cleaning out as she stacks stuff, she's at least discovered one duplicate vhs tape.

I got Bill's green crochet cap finished yesterday.  After I looked at it a little closer, I discovered something else that was making the caps wonky.  The Resident Engineer loves the reason for the problem:  I was following the directions!  And the directions were the problem.  There was one stitch at the start of each row that I'd skipped in the early caps (on purpose) and somewhere in there, I apparently started to include that stitch.  It makes the entire row wrong, it makes too many stitches and that increases the size of the row.  If the increased (extra stitch) is ignored on the next row and doesn't have a stitch made back into it, the row will be uneven.  A stitch made back into it will make the next row bigger and that messes up the shape and fit of the cap.  So, I frogged about about 3 rows on Bill's cap and re-did it without the first stitch.  And it shaped up perfectly.  So, while my tendonitis issues probably did have something to do with it, the main problem was that the pattern itself isn't quite right.  I made another hat yesterday, the 95 year old teenager wants one, and I skipped the first stitch on it as well.  Worked out wonderfully.  The hat for the "teenager" is a variegated brown/tan/white yarn that I also used on one of the pillows I made for the couch.  I used about half of what I had in that shade, as well as about half of a larger ball of the green yarn on Bill's cap.  So I am destashing, it's just not as quickly as I'd like.

I did have somewhat sore arm muscles yesterday after all that crochet, but not that bad.  But I'll probably wait a day or two before I pick up a hook again.  Which won't be easy!

Virginia got her shawl, she was very happy with it.  She said that she gets very cold in church and it's going to get a lot of use.  I'm going to use the one I'm making for myself at church as well.

We went to the dollar store today.  Bill actually wanted to go, but Otter & I were already going to head that direction.  He needed small bungee cords for something on a pachinko project and I just had several things I wanted to get there.  For some reason, I never have a problem finding things to buy at the dollar store!

FROGGY:  DON'T FORGET THE ROCKS!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad that you figured out the cap pattern.



I WON'T FORGET THE ROCKS!

Froggy

Otter Mom said...

Me, too! It was really bugging me because it's a fairly easy pattern and I'd made several without any problem.

YOU'D BETTER NOT FORGET THE ROCKS! Mom would want you to take them, I'm sure you know that.