Sunday, December 29, 2013

It's Not Soup Yet!

I had plans to make soup today.  But it got put off until tomorrow.  After church, Otter had plans to go meet J for the day and she asked me to take her this time.  By the time I got home, it was kind of late in the day to start a several hour pot of soup (unless we wanted to eat dinner at 9:00 or so tonight) so I decided it to start it in the morning instead.  We'll have it tomorrow night and then maybe for lunch on Tuesday, before I put it in the freezer.
 
I'm tired today.  I've been fighting a case of good, old fashioned RedHead Anemia.  It also means that I'm kind of cold kind of often, but it's not like when I get cold when I'm getting sick.  Just not quite warm is all.  I went to bed at 8:15 last night, I had a good night's sleep which helped.  I need to protein/iron load the next couple of days.  I'm wondering if there is a hormonal connection, I am 52 after all and things are a-changin'!
 
Movie Review:  The Lone Ranger.  Well, let's just say that I now understand completely why I've read/heard that this movie could well be the career-killer for Johnny Depp and leave it at that.  One more thing:  I'm kind of glad that Clayton Moore did not have to suffer the indignity of knowing about this one!  I think it's easily the worst (ok, next-to-the-worst) movie that I've ever seen.  Ever.
 
(The worse one will probably always be the one we refer to as The One We Don't Talk About.  It's Trek and it has a number.  An odd number.  It's between 4 and 6.)
 
Our house is officially de-Christmased.  I took the Nativity set down yesterday and packed it away, along with the wreath and stockings.  I rearranged my Fenton a bit, since I acquired 3 new pieces Friday.  Friday was Motorcycle Day, we went antiquing and I found one of the pieces I was looking for.  It's a taller vase, white milk glass, hobnail (pointed bumps) with the double ruffle top.  It's very pretty.  It was $15.00, which is an extremely good price for the particular piece and probably means that the booth owner didn't know what they had.  I got another white moonstone (rounded bumps) bon-bon dish, $5.00 which is also almost free.  Especially because it still had the original Fenton sticker.  I had one already, but they are never exactly the same and finding the sticker is very rare now.  I got another piece at a different antique-ish store, it's a lot rarer piece.  It's a small vase, white glass but it has a pink clear top edge to it which is known as Crest.  Specifically, pinkcrest.  I have a few silvercrest (clear top edge) and one goldcrest (yellow).  I'm looking for a few specific pieces, including a piece of cased glass.  Cased glass is essentially a solid outer color, frequently white, which another color of glass applied inside of the outer color.  Fenton was the master at cased glass and I have seen a few pieces, but I haven't found the "right one" yet.  I'll eventually find the one that speaks to me.  The hunt is as much fun as finding it sometimes.  I do have one cased piece which might be Fenton silvercrest but I'm not positive.  But it's one I really like, so even if it's not Fenton it's staying part of my collection.
 
I haven't actually started anything with the mink yarn.  The yarn is in "hanks" which are not exactly skeins but are actually long loops of yarn that are twisted.  They have to be untwisted and (gently) rolled into balls.  The best thing is to put the untwisted hank on the back of a chair, which I did yesterday.  But I should have used two chairs and hung it between them.  Because when I was almost through rolling it into a ball, it fell off the back of the chair!  Immediately, it became a huge, knotted mess.  I eventually got it untangled, this afternoon.  I might get started on rolling one of the other two hanks tomorrow.
 
But I'll use two chairs this time!

No comments: