Sunday, December 22, 2013

Just a Cold Sunday, Last One Before Christmas

Have to say that I agree with these two pooches!
 
Partners in Christmas Crime

























Elf on a Shelf is creepy.  It's not something we would have done, even if it had been around when Otter was little.
 
We didn't go to church this morning.  As far as we know, it wasn't cancelled.  But it was very cold and we didn't want to get out that early.  Otter and I did have to get out later on, we had to return the movie we rented for yesterday and we also went to the post office.  Otter needed something for a craft project, so we stopped at Michael's and then we stopped at Wallyworld for milk and lunch.  There was very little traffic, Michael's was not bad at all.  Wallyworld's parking lot was not too bad, I got a good spot quickly.  But then we went inside the store.  And it was packed.  We just got 3 or 4 things, but most people were probably doing their big Christmas meal shopping.  Well, it is the last Sunday before Christmas so I guess we shouldn't have been surprised.  But the parking lot did not look as if there would be quite that many people inside the store.  We got a cardboard pizza from their deli to bring home, it was good.  For a cardboard pizza, that is!
 
The roads were good, although there are still icy trees everywhere.  There is a lot of tree damage, lots of broken limbs and so forth.  It's been very cold all day, I don't think we ever got about freezing.  The sun shone for about 3 minutes, it's been grey & cloudy all day.  Tonight will be brutally cold and tomorrow will be in the low 20's but there isn't any more ice or precipitation expected so I don't think that the roads will be an issue.  We are still watching the elm tree, it's still bent over although not as much as yesterday.
 
Bill is off, he took Friday as a vacation day so he actually started his break already.  I work Monday and Tuesday, I originally was going to start my vacation tomorrow but I decided to wait and start it with Christmas itself.  That way, I'll be off for a week and a half ending with a Friday.  If I'd started my time off tomorrow, I would have had to go back to work on a Thursday.  I'd rather not have to do that, but I really wish that I was off tomorrow anyway!
 
I don't think it will be a crazy day, until the Teenager gets there.  Then, all bets are off.  I think I might take Otter with me on Tuesday - the Teenager has been talking about wanting to see her and I also will probably take her to see the Teenager's darling wife after work.  No idea if we'll close early or not, but I kind of think we will.  If we don't, it's not a big deal.  I get off at 3:30 anyway.  Otter is off Tuesday and then Wednesday is a holiday and she's off on Friday because she asked for it.  She doesn't have as many hours this week as usual, but that is because of the holiday in the middle of the week.
 
I think I forgot to mention this yesterday, but Maggie Moo had an adventure.  She got stuck underneath the shed!  Bill let the dogsters out in the back yard for a little while.  I let them in about 5 minutes later, Frasier came flying in and was all kind of Happy.  No sign of Maggie, which is not unusual.  I called her a couple of times, then whistled when she didn't come running.  Then I realized that I couldn't see her anywhere.  I got my shoes on and went outside to look for her.  No sign.  Anywhere.  By this time, Otter has her shoes and coat on and is outside as well.  We were about to start climbing up on the fence behind us and seeing if she had managed to get into their yard or possibly behind our next door neighbor's due to the way his fence is.  We're still yelling for her during this time.  Then, I realize that I can hear her.  I could hear her collar jingling.  She was underneath the shed and couldn't get out, she more or less had to dig her way out.  Bill thinks that the shed had settled a little bit, probably due to the a) damp ground, b) soft ground which is not helped by those moles, c) the fact that the shed is overfilled to the point of bursting with all those pachinko machines he got in TEXAS although he thinks that c) is probably the least likely - although it is probably the most likely but I think that choice d) all of the above is the most likely.  Sometime after it warms up and gets dry, we're going to take every last machine out of the shed and organize it better.  At that point, he will see if it needs to be stabilized.  It has had to be adjusted a couple of times.
 
Maggie was in no particular hurry to get under the shed today when we let them out.  She's not the brightest crayon in the box, but she does have her moments!
 
No more mousies yet.

No comments: