Tuesday, December 17, 2013

No! I'm Not Ready!

But it does look like Winter is on it's way again.  59 today.  60 or 65 Wednesday and Thursday.  29 on Friday!  Saturday and Sunday are low 30's.  The cold would be one thing, not fun but we can deal with it.  What's not fun is the "precipitation" chances we have.  When it is that cold, it ain't rain!  Otter works Friday from 10:00 to 3:00, that probably won't be an issue although I'll drive her if necessary.  Saturday morning, she goes in at 8:00 and gets off at 1:00.  I'm thinking it's a very good chance that one of us will be taking her Saturday as well.  That is, if we aren't iced in and unable to get out!
 
I went to the grocery store tonight, I was going to wait until Sunday or Monday to get my last minute Christmas Eve Picnic/Christmas Morning Bill Breakfast fixins.  But after looking at the forecast and realizing that means crazed shoppers preparing for Armageddon, and the fact that Christmas and the last few days leading up to it are crazy shopping days themselves (even in the grocery store) I decided that I'd better go today.  While I could still find a parking place, a basket, and hopefully the stuff that was on my small list.  I hadn't really planned on going to the Dollar Store, but the bread delivery truck was just getting there as I drove by.  I went inside, got a basket and then found a few things I wanted since I was already there.  I haunted the bread aisle, politely.  As soon as the delivery guy started filling the shelf, I asked him if I could grab the particular wheat bread I wanted from his trays since he wasn't stacking it yet and he said I could so I grabbed 4 loaves.  Then, it was right next door to Wallyworld.  The parking lot was getting filled up but I managed to snag a good spot and it was right next to a basket trap.  I was able to get in and out of the store without too much difficulty, but I could tell that people were beginning to stock up on Storm Supplies:  B-M-T time!  It's not really supposed to be days and days, like it was two weeks ago.  But it's best to be over prepared, given the track record of the local forecasters.  And, as I said, I wanted to get the food we like for Christmas Eve and for the annual Bill Breakfast on Christmas morning.
 
Froggy, I found Blue Bell's peppermint ice cream at Wally!  Bill doesn't care for it, but he does like a custard style ice cream that is made locally so I'm going to get him some on the way home tomorrow.
 
All I need to do now is to fill the car.  When Otter and I went to Wallyworld last night, she took us in the car she and Bill drive and we filled it then.  I'll get mine tanked up tomorrow, it will still be a couple of days in case we do get anything but we won't use all that much between now and then.
 
Bill's been cutting some of the longer pieces of firewood into smaller pieces, looks like we'll be using it this weekend.
 
No luck on Bill's hunting adventure, the traps have remained empty.  They have, however, been emptied of bait so we know that there are micies.  Probably at least two, the two traps in the bathroom are on the opposite side of the house from the trap in the dining room.  All three were emptied of bait, they are all refilled again and Bill adjusted them so that they are a little more sensitive.  I really don't like to kill things, but wild mice are not exactly sanitary.
 
One more thing I need to do ahead of any possible weather.  Reload the bird feeders!

No comments: