Monday, March 17, 2014

Gopher Tales

I let the dogsters out in the back yard when I got home.  Maggie Moo immediately ran to the shed and went underneath it.  Frasier wandered around for a while, no particular destination but just walking around the edges of the yard.  While I was yelling for Maggie Moo to get out from underneath the shed (she wasn't listening) I noticed a small, furry, un-moving object in the grass.  It was a dead gopher, but it didn't look like it had been there long.  The dogs haven't had backyard time since Friday or Saturday and it looked "fresher" than that.  It has been cool and damp (very cold yesterday) but I'm still thinking it was newer than it should have been if the poochies had gotten to it.  They didn't act like they were interested in it, usually we can tell if they got "it" by the way the act.  Maybe one of the neighborhood cats?  Which might be why Frasier was barking his head off a couple of times the last couple of days.  Whatever, it's wrapped in 3 or 4 plastic bags and has been thrown away.
 
Otter and I went by the booth today.  One of my vases has sold, and also an unused oil lamp.  I don't think anything else has, though.  I brought home one Fenton-ish piece (not Fenton, but similar) and since it was cracked (before it went to the booth and I did indicate it on the label) it is probably going to be tossed.  I don't usually donate broken stuff.
 
We also went to Goodwill.  I found a couple of books, Otter found a really cute stuffed animal that Maggie Moo went nutso over when we got home.  Maggie didn't get it, but she sure wanted it.  I also got followed around a bit, by a man who I'd been watching and he apparently realized it.  Because as soon as I turned around and faced him, he took off to the other side of the store and I think he was stalking another woman who wasn't watching her purse very well - so I made a point of walking over by her and again, he moved away as soon as he realized he was being watched.  I made sure Otter knew, she's got good instincts but I didn't take any chances.  I think he actually left the store at that point because I didn't see him again.  Not the first time that has happened to me, not just at thrift stores but it does seem like it happens more in certain areas.  Like the Goodwill we were at today, in my small town and in a fairly safe/good area! 
 
Otter's got good instincts, as I mentioned.  She's also got good reflexes and a Black Belt.  She has a tendency to "act first and ask questions later" and that's actually what she's supposed to do.  (Apples and trees, you know?).

No comments: