Monday, March 03, 2014

Road Warriors

The snow and ice were still with us when we got up, which is what we expected.  Bill's employer announced yesterday that they were closed so he knew in advance that he wouldn't be going in today.  I was thinking I might attempt it, until we turned on the tv this morning and saw just how bad the road conditions actually were.  Otter was scheduled for work today, 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and since she works so close she wanted to try.  Bill took her, when they left he was going to see how it actually was but said that they might be turning around and coming back home.  It took them close to 40 minutes, as opposed to about 10 normally.  When he got home, he said that the road conditions were really bad.  If she'd worked any further away, he wouldn't have tried and she'd have called in.  We are kind of at the far edge of our small town and the road crews almost never actually get to us so we weren't surprised at the fact that the roads were so bad.
 
I decided to go with Bill when he got her at 1:00.  Amazingly, the plows had been out by us and the road outside of the neighborhood had been cleared!  I think that is maybe only the 2nd time since we moved here 9 years ago?  My thought was that I needed to know where any potential issues would be since I am going to try to go in tomorrow, but now I don't anticipate any problems.  Once I get out of the neighborhood, that is!  There are still spots but in general the roads are decent.  There is still a lot of water on the roads, ice that has melted from cars driving over it, but it was sunny today even though it was in the low teens.  We could see steam rising from the street in some places.
 
We stopped at Subway (across the street from Otter's store) and got lunch to bring home.  We originally had planned to take some stuff to the booth today, but that has been put off.  Possibly tomorrow.  However, Bill's employer is closed tomorrow and he might go to the booth in the morning.  I'll take Otter to work, he'll pick her up.
 
It's probably not a bad thing that I didn't go in to work today.  I am still coughing some, not as bad but still quite a bit.  I've had asthma issues related to the bug, and the cold air would have been very B.A.D. for my lungs this morning - Bill wouldn't let me go outside even to get the paper.  It will still be cold in the morning, we'll be in the low teens tonight and possibly single digits.  But I'll be able to go straight from the front door to a warmed up car and should be able to get into the office without too much cold air exposure.  I have some stuff to take the booth, I'll probably do that after work.  Bill's going to take another pachinko machine, but I'm going to remove a couple of things and add several other things that I unearthed over the weekend while I was looking for something else.
 
The something else I was looking for is a cast-iron match holder that belonged to Mom.  I found it eventually (it was in a drawer in the kitchen), but I also found several other things that I didn't even realize I/we still had.  I found a beautiful small vase that had been Mom's, it's in the china cabinet.  I found the homemade nutcracker that belonged to Dad, it's on the corner plant stand that now holds some of my kitchen décor.  But we also found some misc. stuff to put in the booth.  Including two plastic bento-style lunch boxes that Otter used in high school, a vase I've had since I left my job in TEXAS and never actually needed/wanted/had a place for, Bill had two shot-glass games:  checkers and bingo.  There are a few other things, I just can't remember what they are at the moment.  But there are two bags full of stuff to take tomorrow.  I think the booth store was closed today anyway, due to the weather.
 
I did get a little bit done around the house today, I had a wooden trash can in our bathroom that was originally painted pinkish with flower stickers on it.  I changed that décor scheme a few years back and started to paint the trash can a green color with the idea of bluebonnet stickers, but I never could find any and forgot about the trash can.  Until the other day, when I found it again.  I got some darker green paint at Michael's when we went on Saturday night and painted a vine, then used 2 shades of pinkish red and made dot flowers.  Today, I hit it with varnish and called it good.  It's back in the bathroom, and the broken plastic trash can that was in there has been put IN the trash.
 
(Bill was trying to find the remote control to the tv just now, he grabbed my mouse by mistake and I thought my computer was going crazy.  There may be typos here but they are not my fault!)
 
Maggie Moo just emerged from her spot at my feet - under the blanket.  Now, she's stretched out again and probably about to take another nap but this time she's on top of the blanket.  Both doggies have spent a lot of time in front of the fireplace, when they aren't on/under assorted blankets that is!  OK, Maggie is now snoring at my feet.

No comments: