Thursday, October 02, 2014

Tired and Kind of Ouchy

Specifically, my calves are ouchy.  My left knee isn't happy but it is better than it was yesterday.  But my calves are screeching at me every time I take a step.  Otter's apartment is up 2 flights of stairs and I made several up & down trips yesterday.  I was able to make the steps pretty easily, but it was getting to my knee by the end of the day.
 
The actual move was fairly easy.  Bill had already taken her bed apart the night before, all he had to do was load the truck.  Otter had to work a few hours yesterday morning, so she was gone at the time.  Bill backed the El Camino up to the front porch and I helped him get a few things loaded and then I ran to Wallyworld for shelf liner since I forgot it the day before.  I also got a few more gatordes.  We got my car loaded before I left, then when I got home I got the cold food out of the fridge and put it in my car.  We headed out shortly before 7:00 a.m. and got to the apartment easily, considering that we looked a lot like the Beverly Hillbillies!  All we needed was Granny in her rocker in the back of the truck.
 
We got most of the furniture unloaded, when Grandpa got there he helped with what was left and then he put the table together for the girls.  Otter got off work a little early, she went to get J from college and then they came to the apartment.  Yes, Bill finally met J.  They've been dating for something like a year and a half, and it's just never worked out that he could meet J.  J and Otter unloaded the car with what she had packed in it, Roomie brought a carload over and Bill headed home at that point - he had put her bed together and she'd already shown me where she wanted her furniture so it was in place mostly.  Otter's friend who lives in the complex came over with her fiancé (and their truck!) and they all headed over to Roomie's house for her furniture.
 
At that point, I was putting things away (Otter told me where she wanted her kitchen stuff) and since they don't have a pantry Otter's plastic shelf is where they are storing all their non-perishable food.  I got it organized a bit so they could see just what they had.  Then I went to Wallyworld for a few things I noticed they needed.  Including a broom and a few things such as milk.  I got back shortly before they did, so I put the food away and then they showed up with Roomie's furniture.  I waited until they were nearly finished, then I went and got pizza for everybody.  At that point, I was absolutely exhausted and it was late in the afternoon so I headed home -with two pizzas for us.
 
Otter called me this morning and asked me to transport her to the insurance office so she could get her renter's policy and she also realized that she'd left the box at the house that contained her alarm clock, lamp and all the charge cords for her electronics.  Major disaster, that one.  :)  So I brought her back to the house with me after the insurance office and she got that, along with a few other things I had ready for her.  I took her home but she wanted to get something from Wallyworld and I needed to get groceries so she said she'd go with me.  I helped her carry her couple of boxes up to her apartment and I also got several empty boxes out of her way.  I took them to the recycle center on the way home.  Roomie was at work, but they went to the grocery store this morning and got perishable stuff.
 
She's still feeling a bit overwhelmed and she said it was odd still.  It is an odd feeling, both to be "home" somewhere else and also to come back to the house you've lived in for several years.  But she'll adjust, and getting things unpacked and in place will help.  And so will we.
 
I went shopping at lunch today, it was cloudy but not raining when I was on the way to the store.  Just after I went inside, it started thundering and it was so loud the walls were shaking!  It was pouring so I killed time until I had to go back to work, the rain quit by then but the skies opened up right before I got back to work.  I sat in the car in the driveway until it lessened up a bit, but I still got pretty wet going from the car to the office.  Today was the day we originally thought we were going to move Otter, I'm so glad that the plan got changed to yesterday as it would not have been possible at all today.
 
Hopefully, my calves won't be so bad tomorrow.  It kind of hurts to walk!

No comments: