Sunday, September 21, 2008

Some Questions Answered! And Other Comments

Well, I'll answer one question anyway. Froggy's question in fact. Specifically, she asked if I'd brought any plants inside recently since we were inundated with flies. The cactus did come in, but that was actually after the fly problem started. However, we discovered that the flap on the dog door from the garage into the kitchen was hanging down too far and there was a sizeable gap. We think that the flies were coming in from the garage through the gap, that is the general direction/area we saw them in. We still get the occasional one, but not so many since the weather got cooler. But I do have a few plants outside that will be brought in in the next few weeks, I usually check those plants in case they bring in unwelcome guests. The last time something came in, it was a tiny tree frog and it came in on a cactus. We caught it and took it back outside.

We really enjoyed church this morning. There were several people who weren't there today, they missed a very good sermon that made a lot of sense. It dealt with the reasons we do things. Do we do things to please ourselves? Or do we do things because God wants us to? It's a topic that has been on my mind lately, and the sermon was very timely. I have noticed that with this church a lot. I'll have something I'm thinking about and quite frequently my questions will be answered the next Sunday at church.

Otter had a 45 minute driving session this afternoon. I'm not calling them lessons any longer, since she knows how to drive now. But she does need to practice, so I'm calling it practice sessions. She is doing really well. It just takes me a while to get the mirrors back where I want them, after she's driven! The seat is easy to adjust, but the mirrors take me forever.

I have a roast in the oven at the moment. Actually, I have two roasts cooking. I have hardly ever been able to find a big roast, so we usually wind up with one that we eat in one sitting. Bill's a big eater, so what would give most people left overs for a second meal usually is not quite enough for us! So I finally just decided to buy 2. Two take the same time to cook as one does, since they are the same size and are in seperate cooking bags and pans. Both have potatos, carrots, celery and onion in the bags and I'm also going to make some brown gravy. Otter helped with the vegetables, so it didn't take any longer to get two ready than it would have taken to get one ready. I also have a loaf of honey whole wheat bread in the bread machine. It should be ready a little before the roasts are done.

Yes, I still make Pioneer gravy! I have never been able to make gravy from scratch, mom did try to teach me and Nana (who is the world's best scratch gravy cook ever) did, too. But I still just make glue. So I don't even bother, I just use my old favorite - Pioneer, naturally. Well, it is also pretty good. But if I have a choice of two brands, one being Pioneer and one being something else, I'll always ALWAYS take Pioneer. Not just gravy, I like almost all the other products that Pioneer makes. Although I was never too wild about the chili or taco seasonings. I'm not sure if they still make them or not, they were not big selling items.

We have known that Frasier is smart pretty much from the first moment we brought him home. He reminded me this morning of just how smart he really is. I sat down on the couch with a cup of coffee in my hand. He came up to me like he usually does when he wants a chin scratch. But as soon as I moved my hand within reach, he whipped his head away and bumped the hand holding the coffee. Then as soon as it started to drip over the side of the cup, there was Frasier trying to catch the drip! He didn't quite catch it, it dripped onto a blanket I had over my legs and he licked it off the blanket. Then he tried to do it again, but I was on to his tricks by then so it didn't work. But he watched the cup the entire time. Dog's smart, he knows what he wants and he generally can figure out how to get it! The scratches on his nose are healing up. The scabs have come off, and the new skin is pink. I don't know if it will turn dark like the rest of the skin on his nose or not. So he might have a multicolored nose.

I have a spot on my nose that I'm watching, as well as Frasier. I woke up Friday morning and it looked like I'd scratched myself on the top of my nose almost where my glasses rest on the bridge of my nose. But this is Sunday and it still looks like it's a fresh scratch. So I'm keeping an eye on it, and if it doesn't heal up soon then I'll call the dermatologist. I have never had skin cancer, but Dad had it and it can be hereditary to an extent. I've also have more than a few bad sunburns, thanks to my red headed complexion. Another family legacy! Not that I'm complaining, I actually like being a redhead. I just don't like the sunburn thing that goes along with it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I bought some cactus seeds and I am going to plant them and see what happens.
My church sermon was on fear. When we are fearful, we don't love as much and we don't have as much fear. I think this is very interesting and true.
I like pioneer the best. They still make the taco and chili mix. I am making chili when my aggies come home this weekend and Pioneer is the one they like best. Crazy Uncle can and does make wonderful gravy from scratch. I use the mix.
Froggy