Thursday, April 09, 2009

It's a Little Windy! & a Tulip Update

Tulips from the side. Lots of weeds in the bed, I start pulling weeds out and keep it pretty well free for a while. Then it gets to a point where the weeds simply explode and I just leave them. It's at that point.


There's an Otter in the tulips!


This is a Queen of Night tulip. They are actually a deep purple, but they are very pretty.


Extreme close-up!



I don't remember the name, but this one always reminds me of peppermint ice cream.


Since the tulip bed is Otter's project, we ALWAYS have to have purple tulips. The iris plants are about to start blooming and they are loaded with buds, so there will be even more purple pictures on here soon. And one of the iris that I transplanted last year is white! It's already bloomed, I found it this afternoon but I haven't been out in the back yard in a few days so I don't have a picture of it. But I think it has another bud or two on the stalk.



Maggie was very concerned that we were outside the gate but she wasn't! She stared at us the entire time, but we are pretty much immune to sad puppy eyes at this point.


My one and only bluebonnet. It's small but it is doing very well.


Otter is pointing at the proof that it's doing well: it's budding!
My older boss (a Texan) said that his son's housing development has some very interesting plants growing - naturalized bluebonnets! The son (my younger boss) just doesn't quite understand why some people get so excited about them. Non-Texans just don't get it, but bluebonnets are very important to us.
It's very windy today. It was cool this morning with a slight sprinkle. Then the sun came out late this afternoon. That's actually not a good thing. When it's cool and then gets warm late in Tornado Alley, Bad Things have been known to happen. We have a T-Watch until 9:00 tonight, we could get some stormy weather later but the bad stuff (if any) is forecast west and northwest of us. However, the forecasters are not always bright so we always keep one eye on the sky this time of year.
Frasier says that it's not fair for Maggie to get her picture on here and not him, but every time I tried to get his picture he was off somewhere else. At the moment, he's snoozing in the floor by my chair. I have to keep looking at him to be sure he's breathing, he's so deeply asleep. My big, lazy baby! Wait, he just stretched! I guess he's still alive. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful life dogs have-eat, sleep, play, sleep, sleep, get petted, sleep, eat, etc.
Tulips look great. Mind did nothing.
I bought more batface flowers this year and mine from last year survived. Froggy