Thursday, August 11, 2011

Been a Few Days!

Since my last post, anyway.

We lost our internet for a few days, not sure what the problem was but it was area-wide.  It's fixed now.  And not a moment too soon, we've realized over the last few days just how little there actually is on tv!  We don't watch a lot anyway, specific shows but not much.

Let's see, what's happened this week that's worth discussing.

I know!  IT RAINED!  Pretty much constantly for the last couple of days, and it's been wonderful.  It's nice and cool, mid 90's is the highest we've had but it's mostly been high 80's to low 90's.  I'm not sure how much rain water is in my rain barrel, but it's quite a bit.  The plants are all happy now, and the yard is beginning to turn back to green (as opposed to brown!).  Of course, that means that Billyboy will have to mow it soon.  He also had to clean out the rain gutter, you can't tell if it's clogged unless it's actually raining.  It was raining and the gutter was clogged.  It only had a few spots, mostly dead leaves that have fallen off of the previously very dry trees.  We've had thunderstorms off and on the last couple of days, so I guess the internet being out was good timing since we wouldn't have been on the computers then anyway.

My car's acting up.  Tuesday, I was nearly to work when it started making a noise.  We were thinking that the main belt was acting up and I thought that the noise was the belt failing.  I was about a mile from the repair shop we use, so I took it in and they took me on to work.  The belt was fine, in fact the belt is in great shape so we don't have to worry about that right now.  But he couldn't find the noise, as the car did what they always do - quit making the noise as soon as I got it to the shop.  He thought that maybe a small twig might have been flung up and got caught in the belt, which was a possibility as there were a lot of trees damaged in the storms we've had and debris is everywhere.  Today, it started making the noise again and I realized what it is.  The air conditioner "doors" that separate the interior air intake from the exterior air intake are sticking.  This is the 3rd time that it's done this and I'm thinking it's time to call Chevy.  I think that I heard something recently about a recall involving similar situations, but it was not for my model year Impala.  When the car started it's thing today, I was just leaving the office for lunch so I just went straight to the repair shop and this time the car cooperated.  Which means that it was still making the noise and the owner of the shop came out to hear it.  They were full, so I'm taking it back tomorrow on the way in to work.  I'm going to talk to him about calling Chevy, because this should not happen 3 times in less than 2 years.  Actually, it might even be less than 2 years.

I had an interesting experience at Wallyworld today.  I bought dog food.  I had a coupon, but I was going to buy it anyway because the hounds like to eat.  For some reason!  Anyway, the coupon would not scan.  I think it was wrinkled up a little.  The cashier absolutely COULD NOT FIGURE OUT how to redeem a coupon without scanning it!  She made a big thing about how I couldn't use it because it wouldn't scan and that's when RedHeadTexanWoman came out to play.  I finally asked her if she "could just do it the old fashioned way and actually input the numbers from the bar code into the register by hand."  She didn't have a clue what I meant.  After several minutes of this nonsense because she kept repeating herself, I told her that she obviously didn't know what she was doing and that she also didn't know what she was talking about.  She kept insisting that coupons can ONLY be scanned and I told her that she was wrong and I knew it, and I took the coupon back out of her hand.  I paid for my stuff and she started telling the lady next in line behind me how the coupon wouldn't scan (about mine) and that they couldn't take it.  I turned around, looked her straight in the eye and repeated my earlier statement.  Then, I just left.  (Even though RedHeadTexanWoman was out of the fence, I was not rude).  The lady behind me was not impressed with the incompentent clerk, either, by the way.

Since it was obviously Texas Attitude Day, we had chili tonight.  We have it on a regular basis (see many previous posts!), so we would probably have had it anyway.  But I thought it was a good night for it.

Among other things this week, Otter and I went out to the college bookstore and investigated the textbooks she'll need.  We are going to look online for them, but most of them are specific to the college itself and it's not a huge school.  So we might still wind up back at their bookstore.  They weren't unreasonable, I'd just like to not have to pay any more than we have to.  Especially considering the fact that we have to pay for her oral surgery next week and now have an unanticipated car repair cost.  The car won't be much, it's just that we've already had it fixed twice.  The college expenses are not extremely high anyway.

Froggy, you asked about a comment not posting.  I haven't gotten any about last Monday's post, which is the one I think you were asking about.  You might need to re-comment.

Speaking of frogs, we've been hearing the tree frogs again.  They like rain, and when it's raining they get very loud.  I think we had one on the deck last night, we just sat in the living room and listened to it for a long time.  Really neat sounds.  The dogs response to the rain has been to sleep even more.

Frogs are cool.  Right, Froggy? :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like hearing the tree frogs. I just don't want to see them or have them lick my foot. So yes in their own way they are cool. I haven't seen my toad lately. The other day I was turning off the soaker hose and in the same place I saw the frog this 12 inch snake came out and boy was he moving fast. I think he moved faster than me. We both went in different directions, him silently me yelling loadly. Froggy

Otter Mom said...

Well, if there is a snake present then you might not have to worry about seeing the toad anymore. He might well have become lunch. Both snakes and frogs/toads are very important animals, and I know that snakes have to eat as well but I hope that the toad didn't get eaten!