Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Our New Favorite Book! (and other stuff, too)

This has now become our favorite book:

 
Way to Go, Ted!


Here's a few pictures of things that have been going on lately.  Captions are underneath the picture they describe.


A few weeks back, before Bill's surgery, he found something he knew we'd find interesting when he was mowing the lawn.  He brought it in for us.  It's obviously something left behind when the occupant outgrew it, most likely a grass or garter snake.


What looks like a leg is actually a piece of grass that was stuck to the skin.



The textures are really neat, the scales are in such a pretty pattern.  We tossed it back out in the yard when we got through looking at it, Maggie Moo & Frasier were very interested in it and I think they rolled on it a few times.


I don't think I got these posted before, but they may be a rerun.  These are the support for the trellises.


This is the one right outside of our bedroom window.




 
This was taken today, a certain little beagle was looking for Rose of Sharon blooms.  To eat.  Both dogs love them, but we try to keep them away from them.  I have heard that they are poisonous for dogs, but they don't seem to have suffered any ill effects.  They don't eat too many, but they would like to!


Sorry this is sideways!  This is the new rain barrel and also visible is one of the three completed trellises.


Bill made a stand for the barrel, it's upright.  The other one is horizontal and Bill had to install a spigot in it but this one came with one already.


Again, sorry it's sideways.  I can't get it rotated.  The top lid screws on and off.  It's a flat piece of plastic, Bill drilled a series of holes in it and then placed a piece of window-ish (metal) screen on top of it.  The outer ring isn't attached to the top piece, it sits on top of it and holds it down when it (the ring) screws on.  By doing it this way, it has a screen to keep leaves & crud out of it.  The rain gutter isn't actually attached, but it is just barely above the now holey lid.


This is the spigot.  The barrel sits on a stand that is tall enough to get my watering can underneath it and is far enough towards the front of the stand so that a hose can be attached easily.  It's not shown, but the stand is on bricks that are on sand and is level.  We are supposed to get a good rain this weekend, hopefully the forecaster got it right this time!
 
There was one other picture I wanted to post, but it's on my phone and even though I've downloaded the software I can't figure out how to upload it.  Last night, Otter saw something really cool on the front porch side wall up near the top.  It was a bat!  It was hanging out close to the porch light, which was on at the time.  It was a smart bat, it apparently figured out where all the bugs were collecting and then it had it's own all-a-bat-can-eat-buffet!  It was gone this morning, but there was a considerable amount of bat droppings on the front porch and I'm kind of thinking that it might have had a few friends join it for dinner.  We hope it comes back.
 
Tomorrow, I'm going to go buy more mosquito dunks.  If I'm feeling better, that is.  I gave in to my sore throat and called in today - Bill more or less told me I had to but I would have anyway.  I sound better this evening, but I'm still not feeling 100%.  I made very hot chili for dinner tonight, it did help a bit.
 
Also, we're pretty sure that the State Fair is going to happen without us this year.  Otter has to work both days this weekend, the store actually has it's soft opening this Sunday and then the Grand Opening is probably next weekend and she'll probably have to work both days.  We've gone the last two years, so I'm not too upset if we have to miss it.

No comments: