Friday, September 19, 2014

It's Friday Aaaargggghright!

Its also International Talk Like a Pirate Day, in case you can't tell by the title!

 
Krispy Kreme had their usual free donut to anyone wearing a pirate costume and free dozen for anyone talking like a pirate.  Otter did both, so she got a free one (which she ate pretty much instantly) and a free dozen which we'll have for breakfast tomorrow.
 
Next year, I may be on my own if I want donuts on Pirate Day.
 
Because I'm fixin to have one of these:
 



An empty nest, if anyone is wondering.
 
Otter's taking one of the final "yes, I'm really an adult" steps in a week and a half.  She's moving into her first apartment!  She will have a roommate, her best friend (we'll refer to her a Roomie) will be moving with her.  They are going to share a one-bedroom apartment, one girl (probably Otter) will have the actual bedroom and the other girl (Roomie most likely, because let's face it - Otter is neatness challenged!) will make the living room into her bedroom.  Otter has a beanbag-type armchair and Roomie has a papasan chair, so they won't really need a couch but they aren't going to have room for one anyway.  J's mom has given them a table and 4 chairs, so they will not have to eat sitting on the floor.  Apartment rates are astronomical compared to what they were "way back when" I was looking for one when I moved out of my parent's house, but houses and duplexes are even higher.  They did consider a duplex and found a possible one a few months back, but they would have had to pay for all the utilities and probably lawn care as well.  In their apartment, they'll just have to pay for the electricity as far as utilities go.  They may or may not be able to afford internet service, that will be determined later.
 
It's about 6 miles from our house, Otter will only have about a 3 mile drive to work which is about what she has now.  Roomie will have to driver slightly farther, but she doesn't mind.  They will be living on the 3rd floor!  Bill's going to have to do some serious Engineering when it comes time to get furniture up the stairs.  But considering the fact that the apartment complex is literally right next door to the newly-moved-into main police station for our small town, he's not complaining too much!  Also, there is a police officer who lives in the complex and actually in the building that Otter and Roomie will be in.
 
Otter's been collecting stuff she'll need for a while, she's bought some and we've bought some and we've also given her a few things that we had.  It's a big step, and it's time.  She's ready.  But I'm not so sure if I'm ready!  Actually, I am excited for her.  It's just going to be an adjustment for everybody.  I am reminded of Dad telling me that I shouldn't be in a hurry to move out and that I should just wait a couple more years (I was 21 and nearly 22 in fact.)
 
Her room here will become my YARN/craft/guest room.  And it will be a Pachinko-Free Zone.  I have two pachinko machines which may be on the wall in there, but there will be no pachinko repair/work/restoration/etc. in there.  I'm going to paint it, I have a color in mind.  It's a very pale blueish color.  I'm going to have to get a 4th plastic drawer set for the yarn stash, but I've needed that for a while - I have three that are overfull to the point of bursting and I also had a few tote bags of yarn that were on the shelf next to the drawers when it was in the closet in what is now the hoarding/rat's nest/pachinko room.  We will probably not put an actual bed in there, we're thinking a pull-out loveseat sized couch might be what we go with.  Otter thinks she'll probably leave her desk and the sewing machines will be parked on it.  She's not sure about her plastic shelf unit yet.
 
She's going to start cleaning out her stuff, she probably has a whole lot to be donated and there will be some stuff she wants us to store for her.  We're about to start on that process, hopefully we won't be buried in Otter's craft supplies!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What about a Murphy bed in your room? These are the kind that fold up against the wall and take no space until they are folded down,

It may take a while but you will get used to the empty nest. froggy