Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Christmas Eve 2014

(Please see my other post today, it's below this one)
 
I know it's Wednesday, but it really feels like a Friday.
 
My day started early.  I didn't sleep too good last night, who knows why!  I woke up for the final time about 4:15 and basically stayed awake until about 5:00, when I just got up and started the coffee - after letting the dogs out and feeding them breakfast!  I had seen a listing on craigslist for a pachinko machine last night and the seller answered my email, so he and Bill made arrangements to meet.  Which meant that I had to go get $$ for Billyboy.  At 6:00 a.m., I went to the nearest ATM machine and got him the money he needed.  I left for work about 7:30.
 
(Bill actually had another person lined up to buy a machine from, so he met them both today and bought both machines.)
 
I got to work in plenty of time, there was zero traffic today.  There hasn't been much at all this week and there was even less today.  I had very little to do, Younger Boss got there not too long after I did and we pretty much just sat and talked for about an hour.  I was just about finished with my 10 minutes worth of work by that point, at about 9:45 he decided that since he didn't have anything to do and I didn't have anything else, we should just turn off the lights, shut the doors and call it good for the day.  The Teenager decided it wasn't worth coming in today.  I left shortly before 10:00.  Bill was just getting home from his pachinko shopping errand, we pulled into the driveway at the same time.
 
We both wanted to go to Hobby Lobby, so we headed up there.  Yes, I actually got Billyboy to go shopping on Christmas eve, and he went willingly!  I got modge-podge "glue" and some clear acrylic sealer for a project I'm working on and he got model paint to use on some of the pachinko parts.  We went to Cici's pizza buffet for lunch and there were only a couple of other people there.  We went to Big Lots next, I found a few Christmas ornaments for my wreath project and a couple of other things I wanted.  There were a few people there, more than were at Hobby Lobby and Cici's, but not very many.  The next stop before heading home was the liquor store - that's were the crowd was!  It's Wednesday, so that means wine is 10% off.  That usually is a big draw for their customers, but this was the Christmas Eve stocking up for the festivities crowd.  I did buy a bottle of wine, as well as vodka and both will last us for quite a while.  But most of the people in there seemed to be buying several bottles of lots of different things.
 
It's been a fun day, somewhat different than usual for Christmas Eve.  For one thing, Otter is out of town.  She went to the Oklahoma City area with J and his mom for Christmas, they were going to go today but J's mom said it would be easier if she could come get Otter after work yesterday and take her back to their house then they could leave earlier this morning.  Otter worked about an hour later than she was originally scheduled for yesterday, then she kind of flew back to our house to bring the car home - as well as the little amount of dirty laundry she had accumulated since Saturday (I told her I'd wash it for her if she'd bring it). She also wanted to pick up a tote bag from me to take her clothes, etc. for the trip and also I had gotten her some more allergy medicine since she was about out.  I took her home and visited with Roomie for a few minutes, then J's mom got there just as I was leaving.  I really like J's mom, she's a very nice person and I was comfortable with Otter being driven to another part of the state with her and J.  Not that it matters, Otter is an adult but still...  Froggy, I bet you know exactly what I mean!
 
We had sunshine yesterday and blue sky, for a couple of hours.  It was very nice, for the short time it lasted.  Last night, it was supposed to be winter again but it never really got here.  This morning, when I was running around for Billyboy at 6:00 a.m., it was pretty chilly and slightly misty.  I saw one or two tiny snowflakes, but that's all we got.  I still needed my leather jacket when I was out and about, but it's more cool than cold.
 
After much discussion, Bill and I are still having our traditional Christmas Eve picnic, but on a smaller scale.  We have fritos and bean dip, but not potato chips and onion dip; we have some different cheeses that I'll slice up and some ritz crackers as well as some type of wheat cracker that I forgot the name of.  But no captain's wafer crackers this time, and just a couple of different cheeses.  We have a Hickory Farms sausage that will go with the cheese and crackers, and I got a can of black olives.  And a jar of Claussen pickles!  But we don't have that much of any of the ingredients although we'll probably have leftovers.  And I'll have my soy eggnog, with a little bit of rum added to it.  We're having bean-bacon-cheese tacos for breakfast in the morning, the bacon is not negotiable - we only have it a few times each year, and Christmas is written in stone that we will have bacon if it's at all possible!  We did have it an extra time this year, it was part of Otter's comfort foods she requested before she moved out.  But normally, it's three times each year:  Otter's birthday, Bill's birthday and Christmas.  Since Otter's moved out, she will probably have to manage it on her own for her birthday breakfast!  Also, we'll probably have it a couple of times in the next few days because there's just the two of us to eat it. :)
 
Otter will probably get back on Saturday, which is my birthday but she might not be home until late in the day so I'm not anticipating seeing her then.  We'll see her on Sunday, I'm not sure if I'm going to go get her and bring her back here to get her laundry and the car or if we'll take the car and laundry to her at her apartment.  Either way, she will have the car by Sunday evening because her work shift on Monday starts at 2:00.  AM, as in just past midnight!  Ain't nobody willing to get up and get her to work at 2:00 a.m.!
 
Either Sunday or Monday, we're going to the booth and get all the pachinko machines we have for sell there.  We have decided to close the booth up, we actually decided early in the month and gave the shop owner notice.  It was a success for the most part, but we are going to call a halt for a while.  Bill may get another booth at another antique mall in the (possibly near) future, he hasn't decided for sure about that yet.  He sold 2 or 3 machines through the booth and I sold most of the small stuff I had.  But I don't have any more small stuff and neither of us are really willing to get back into that side of things - it would be a matter of buying things just to resell and we've "been there, done that" before.  We did it with eBay for a few years and it worked great, but it also can take up a lot of time and room.  The last few machines that Bill sold were actually sold through our website, 2 of them were at the booth so we picked them up and shipped them off to their new owners.  So, it's time to close out the booth.  For now, anyway!
 
Now, I think I'm going to get busy with my yarn.  I'm about half-way through with Sweetie's scarf and then I'm going to make a cap for Roomie.  Roomie wants a red one, so both Sweetie's scarf and Roomie's cap can be considered de-stash projects.  I don't use much red, but I have a couple of skeins of it on hand.  I might buy more of the yarn I'm making Sweetie's scarf out of, it's my favorite Red Heart color:  Monet.  I like to always have it on hand, I find a lot of uses for it.

No comments: