Sunday, December 21, 2014

They Lied!!!

We were supposed to get sunshine yesterday.  I was outside several times, and I never saw it.  It was breezy and cool, today is misty and cold.  And wet, not rainy but just clammy.
 
But maybe they just missed their forecast, like they usually do.  Anyway.  It's been colder today than it was supposed to be.
 
I'm finally finished with the front room.  I finished repacking Otter's fabric stash into the Rubbermaid boxes I bought yesterday and they are stacked in the closet.  I emptied one of her picnic boxes, it had misc. craft stuff that she wanted including her emergency sewing kit which she's been looking for ever since she moved out.  The picnic boxes are on top of the Rubbermaid boxes and a plastic tool-box style sewing box is on top of the picnic boxes.  Yes, it is a tall stack.  But it is not in any danger or falling.  In the other side of the closet is the three sewing machines, the tote bag that hold the controls to the sewing machines and my "bag of bags" also known as my totebag stash.  I use all of them at various times, they just get put back into one specific large tote bag to keep them all corralled.  Also in the closet beside the Rubbermaid boxes is one of the flat underbed style boxes that used to hold part of Otter's fabric stash.  I'm using it for my quilting projects, the fabric I'm collecting for the lap quilt I'm going to make for Bill and the quilt top that I bought a while back with the intention of turning it into curtains.  I decided to finish it out as a quilt instead.  Eventually!
 
The closet has an organizer in it, we put it in the closet for Otter when we first moved here 10+ years ago.  The center is 5 or 6 box-style shelves.  Three of them have craft/crochet/sewing related books.  One of them has the TEXAS tote bag Froggy sent me last week along with the doilies - it's now holding the doilies.  Also on that shelf is another tote bag which has my netting collection - the netting will eventually be cut into strips and crocheted with.
 
I'm using the shelves Otter had her (millions and millions of) shoes on for misc. stuff such as the family quilt I'm working on repairing for Otter, my two wreath projects and I put the cast-iron stove lamp on the top shelf.  It's just slightly higher than the top of the desk and it works perfectly beside the desk.  It is in front of the window a little bit but it fits nicely.  I bought Otter's boom box from her a while back, it's also on the top shelf.  I like to listen to a local gardening show on Saturdays, I had been moving the boom box around to where ever I happened to be but now that I have a play room, I'm leaving the boom box in there to listen to it on Saturdays.  Also on the shelves are several plastic shoe boxes that are still empty, but I'm sure I'll find something to put in them.  On the other side of the desk is the plastic shelf unit that Otter gave me, the bottom two drawers have office supply stuff and the top three are still empty.  At one point, my doilies were in the top drawer but Froggy sent me a bunch more and there are too many for the drawer now.  Not enough for the curtain drape yet, however!
 
The red plastic "milk crate" shelf unit that was in the Pachinko workroom is now in the front room.  It still has envelopes and misc. office-related stuff in it, and it also has a pachinko machine on top.  Yes, I know.  I told Bill that I did not want any pachinko machines in there!  But this one is mine, it's the Steampunk Pachinko Machine Bill and Otter made for me a while back.  Bill bought gold pachinko balls for it and I've already been playing it.  It's noisy!  Which I like, actually.
 
Otter's boxes are still stacked in the corner, which will probably be there for a few months until we put them in the attic.  Otter left me her small corkboard, I left it on the wall near the light switch and I put a few of my crochet/yarn related articles that I've collected.  Bill hung all three of my fabric bulletin boards on the wall and I have even more crochet related articles & jokes on two of them.  One of them is over the desk and has family stuff on it.  Beside one of them is the Armadillo Wall Hanging that Froggy made me.
 
The wall that the corkboard is on is also the wall that my yarn stash is backed up to.  Ignore the diet coke!  It's not there any longer.  :)  The large box on top of the wide short drawer unit contains Otter's silk flowers, she uses them in some of her crafting.  It fits nicely on top of the wide drawer unit.  I have labels from the yarn in front of the drawer so I can see what kind is in each drawer when I'm looking for a specific yarn.  I generally know where the various yarns are, but the labels just make it a little easier.  I have quite a bit of Red Heart brand, it's a sturdy all-purpose yarn.  But I also have some better yarns and some Really Good (also known as you get what you pay for and I paid for a lot!) yarns - they are in the drawer with the TEXAS longhorn decal on the front.

 
Believe it or not, but I have been told that my yarn stash is not very big.  I'm not sure I agree, but I'm happy with it.  The three tall drawer units and the two smaller drawer units are full (very full), the larger box on top of the small unit is actually Jessie's silk flowers she crafts with.  The rest of it is all yarn!  I do have more, actually but it's dedicated to specific projects.  I haven't crocheted in a couple of weeks because of my stupid over-sensitive skin and I am going to explode if I don't get to play with my yarn soon!


At the side is the stack of boxes containing the stuff Otter wants us to store for her.  It goes nearly to the ceiling.
 
Otter has a wooden shelf that had cutout shapes of horses, one of her Aunts turned the horses into carousel horses and gave it to Otter when she was a baby - carousel horses was the theme we used in her room when she was a baby.  At some point, Otter will probably want the shelf but for now it's still on the wall in there.  I have my tiny, decorative spinning wheel on it along with my collection of yarn spools.  I'll eventually get a picture of it, but blogger is refusing to load the pictures from my camera again.
 
I'm going to get a small table, probably a card table, which will be used for sewing.  The plan is to set it up in front of the window when somebody wants to sew and then it can be folded up and put away when whomever is finished.  I saw one in the Big Lots ad for $29.00, but I'm going to check a couple of other stores.  I'm also going to get miniblinds cut for the window, probably next week when I'm on vacation and we might get a ceiling fan then as well.  But I am done for the most part, we will eventually paint that room but not until spring or summer when we can leave the windows open because of paint fumes.  We had discussed getting an inflatable air mattress instead of a bed or pullout couch for guests, but Bill suggested I rethink that plan.  Because there will be sewing which means needles potentially being dropped on the floor - not a really good idea to mix needles and air mattresses!  So we'll probably go with a pullout couch or a futon-style with a trundle bed.
 
Froggy, you and KN#3 better come see me next year!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We are coming to see you in 2015. We will pick the date over Christmas.
The room looks good.
Froggy