Tuesday, December 02, 2014

Discovered Treasure

Otter has always had a habit of just leaving coins she got in change where ever it happened to land.  As she was getting ready to move, she found coins in just about every place she looked.  In her closet.  Under her bed.  I found it in her desk when I cleaned it out.  It was in the plastic drawers.  It was in just about every nook & cranny in her room and then some.  As she was boxing stuff up, she would toss any coins she found into a plastic shoe box.  The idea was to count it after she found it all.  I told her I'd buy the change from her so I counted it up tonight.
 
Kiddo had $14.23 cents in various coins in her room, collecting dust over the last few years!  She had a wheat penny which I'm giving her 2 cents for, so I'm actually giving her $14.25 and there were also two foreign coins that might be Canadian pennies - I don't remember what they were.
 
But we never found her sunglasses, which were in my car for the longest time.  She brought them inside one day to put in her purse so she'd always have them when she started driving the 02 Impala more often than she drove my car.  And that was the last she saw of them.  We know that they made it to her room, she didn't actually put them in her purse - she put them on her bed and then they just vanished.  I kept thinking we'd come across them somewhere when she was packing or when we were cleaning out/organizing what was still here.  But we've finished that, she's moved everything she's going to move and we've gone through what she left here for storage, and we went through everything she had.  No sunglasses!  At least that aren't prescription! They are the $20 model that fits over prescription glasses.  I bought my own pair a while back, since I used to use hers when she left them in my car.
 
Otter, you should have taken my offer when I said I'd buy your pair from you!  I was going to give you the full purchase price since I wore them more than you did at the time.  Considering that I originally bought them for you, you would have come out way ahead. :)
 
I vacuumed in the front room (the front room is what I'm calling Otter's old room now to keep straight which room I mean) tonight and decided to move my yarn from the short/wide 3-drawer unit into the tall 5-drawer unit that Otter gave me.  I will also probably move the yarn from the short but taller 3-drawer unit into the tall unit as well.  Then I'll put my misc. sewing stuff (some of it is probably Otter's) into the short/wide unit and the office supplies into the short but taller 3-drawer unit.  Some of the office supplies will be put in the desk, but the desk is going to be used more as a sewing desk than a work/office desk.  I will probably switch all the yarn, etc. around on Saturday.  I'll probably rearrange the furniture in there as well.  It's not much, the desk and the yarn drawers are the only furniture in there at the moment.  We eventually will get either a pull-out couch or maybe a daybed with a pull-out trundle so guests will not have to sleep on the floor.  We want to get a ceiling fan with a light on it to replace the not very good light fixture in there, and we'll put miniblinds in the window.
 
I have a project I'm working on for the window covering in the front room.  It involves crochet, which surprises exactly no one!  I saw a draped style curtain made out of assorted crocheted doilies which were sewn together at ends and sides and then draped over a curtain rod and it drapes down on both sides.  It hung over the top of the rod a little bit and is uneven because of the fact that it was made out of different size, shape & yarns doilies.  It's at a small vintage/antique store that we sometimes shop at.  They have two front windows done this way and it looks amazing.  It is exactly what I want to do in there.  It could be tacky very easily, I'm going to try to avoid that but I'm also not going to worry too much if it is!  I've been collecting doilies for a few months, it will take a bunch of them a huge amount.  I had a few already, some that Mom and our special Aunt made and also Sweetie gave me a round tablecloth doily that is going to be the centerpiece of the curtain.  I only have one window in there and it is a big one, so it's going to take a whole lot of doilies.  I find them at antique stores, yard sales, thrift stores sometimes.  I refuse to pay a lot for them, unless they are obviously very old.  I do know how much work goes into them, and there is a reason I refuse to do thread crochet.  But I also know about how much they are worth and for a while I was finding them in large quantities.  But then handmade items became "collectible" and that meant that they were apparently worth a lot in a lot of people's minds.  The market seemed to get flooded pretty fast, and now I see them just about everywhere.  The overprices seem to be dropping and I've added a few more to my collection recently.  But I still have a long way to go.  I think I'll probably get them out again and now that I have a place where I can shut the door to keep a certain beagle from sitting on them, I'm going to spread them out a bit and see just how many I actually have.  I have various colors, sizes, thread size and styles.  I just don't have enough yet.  I probably won't actually start construction until I have enough doilies.
 
Tomorrow, I start my vacation countdown!

2 comments:

Otter Mom said...

I'll take them!

Otter Mom said...

My comment was in answer to Froggy's comment, but I realized after I posted it that she'd accidentally named someone and I changed it. Here's her original comment:

I have some doilies that I can send you. They may have been made by mom and AJ, I'm not sure.
Froggy